Kerdi - Ditra Wall connection [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi - Ditra Wall connection

snpiperpilot
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm in the middle of planning a bathroom renovation. I'll be removing a tub and replacing with a 32x60 Schluter Kerdi shower kit.

The rest of the room will have a tile from laid on Ditra and tile on the wall to waist level laid over Kerdi.

I don't like the look of the dilex connector and plan to put a cove tile to cover the the corner.

How do I handle the waterproofing of the corner. In the shower you just use Kerdi band to seal the corner with the band over the shower pan. But, how do you do the same thing with ditra on the floor instead of Kerdi?

Lots of information here and my brain is exploding from all the information.

I probably should stay out of the section on bad tile jobs, that's giving me nightmares...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

SN

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
02-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Steven,

Welcome to the forum.

Ditra the floor outside the shower, then send the kerdi from inside the shower, up and over the curb, onto the ditra at least 2" but more is better.

We also like to lap the kerdi band over the ditra and up the wall behind the baseboard /wall tile. Yes, there is a snag at the terlit and the door to the hallway, but lapping the kerdi up the walls is a nice touch if you want to do it. Then silicone the baseboard tiles to the floor tiles at that seam.

snpiperpilot
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks, that was my fallback plan unless someone had a better way. I was concerned that overlapping the ditra would cover the mechanical adhesion squares in the ditra.

I guess that if you have a good connection between the kerdi and the ditra you would be doing more or less that same as doing the corners of the shower.

Thanks for the assistance.

SN

dhagin
02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi Steven. :)

What Paul said. Waterproofing floors with Ditra & Kerdi/Kerdi Band is described in detail in the installation instructions for both Ditra & Kerdi.

You may also want to consider Kerdi Band at any Ditra seams. :)

snpiperpilot
02-06-2013, 02:21 PM
I watched the stuff on the shower kits but not the videos on Ditra. I bet that's where the information is.

I'll take a look. Thx for the pointer.

snpiperpilot
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I looked at the Ditra videos and none of them show using Kerdi to make the connection between wall and floor.

Still, it sounds pretty sensible and will look better than the dilex connector they seem to be pushing. I'll do the walls, then the floors and use Kerdi Band to seal the joints before tiling.

Thx for the information.

dhagin
02-08-2013, 10:45 PM
The info is in the .pdf files, not sure about the vids. :)

http://www.schluter.com/media/DITRAHandbook-ENG-2013.pdf?v=201302061533

http://www.schluter.com/media/ShowerHandbook-2012-2013.pdf?v=201302061533