Small Bathroom Reno Questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Small Bathroom Reno Questions

Cal3030
02-05-2013, 09:01 AM
I’m planning to renovate a second floor small bathroom that includes a 36” x 36” shower stall insert and about 60 square feet of flooring. I would characterize myself as a good DIY’er with limited tiling experience. The questions I have are about some internet research and suggestions made by a local big box store employee.

1. Is MAPEI Keraset or Kerabond a good choice for thinset mortar in a shower? Suggest better choice please.

2. PVC liner, Kerdi system or Hydro Ban pre-sloped shower pan system witch is better/easier for a DIY’er.

3. Is the pre-slope styrofoam floor sturdy enough to stand the test of time?
4. After tiling should I use grout or sealant where two walls meet?
5. Any suggestions or examples of shower stall reno

Sponsored Links

by-eye
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Hey Calvin,
I'll give it a go.

1. yes, buy the highest quality you can. If using kerdi, follow mfg instructions.
2.IMO kerdi system
3.IMO yes
4.Sealant, wherever there is a change of plane.
5.My blog in my signature shows a kerdi shower, I'd get some kerdi fix too.

Mark

jim_c
02-05-2013, 07:06 PM
I strongly suggest you read as much as you can on this site and absorb it all.
There is no point in rushing. There is a lot of good info on you tube too but some of the suggestions on there are BS so be careful. I am now doing my second shower. (Makes me an expert!) I decided on the Schluter Kit and am very happy with everything so far. I also purchased John Bridge's ebook on shower construction and found it very helpful. You can read the excerpt before you decide to buy but it's only 10 bucks so it will be the best 10$ you spend on your project.
Jim C.