Grouting Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouting Question

str1ve13
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Hey all,
I hope this isn't a repeat question, I tried to search the forums prior to asking and didn't see the exact question on the first 3 pages of the search.

I had started a tiling job within my foyer area and had to go out of town for a couple weeks. I had all of the tile fixed in placed and just had to grout to finish. Well my father in law came over and attempted to grout. He did well in some places, not so much in others. Some of the lines are almost 1/8" too low! It wouldn't bother me if my feet were catching on the corners of some tiles. Well he did this about 2 weeks ago, and now that I am home, I want to fix it.

The Question! Am I able to just grout over the existing grout to bring it up to proper level, or do I have to scrape it all out/partially out and redo?

I live is Florida, the tile is on concrete, porcelain tile, sanded grout used, and don't have a cracking problem in the area, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
02-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Brad,

Welcome to the forum.

1- You're gonna be digging out the grout in the bad areas, then looking at the rest of the job, then think about taking the rest out, then actually take the rest of the grout out. There are a number of tools to do this. Just take your time, repeatedly thanking your dad for his effort, then vacuum like crazy.

2- Read the grouting tutorial (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85639)some really nice guy wrote.

3- Have Dad over to help grout by rinsing sponges and secretly learn from you how to grout. It will be a nice bonding moment.

gmadison
02-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Take a grout removal tool and remove it. You should try to create a uniform joint. Take a grout grabber or something similar and it should go quickly. Make sure to clean the joint well with a vac. Let the grout sit in the joint long enough to firm to avoid a repeat problem.

Davy
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi Brad, welcome. I would want the new grout to be at least half of the tile thickness, more if possible so you will probably have to cut some out. Not a fun job.

str1ve13
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
What I was afraid of, thanks for all the fast responses! I got some work ahead of me.

Thanks again!

jim_c
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Bonding moment?

Wow, good one!