Tiling over an exterior masonry chimney [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling over an exterior masonry chimney

EricMosher
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I just purchased a home that has an external brick chimney on the front of the house. The brick is interspersed with stones, and there are 3-4 cinder blocks that make up the corner where the chimney thins towards the top. I do not like the way it looks and am wondering if there is a method of refacing the chimney with tile or stone, and the best way to accomplish it if there is.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sponsored Links

Lump
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Been thinking about starting a thread on this exact subject.
My thoughts were with tile and was thinking I may need to prime first skim coat the imperfections with a high quality thinset, then set with the same high end thinset acheiving as close to 100% coverage. Debating on wether a membrane would be needed or not. Crazy this thought was in my head while I went to go get lunch and here it is on the forum.......

WendyHMN
01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
A number of companies make stone or stone-like veneers for just this purpose. They are usually applied with type S or N mortar and there are some special rules for exterior applications.

rickjames
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
I would think the stone veneer would be a better option than tile.

EricMosher
01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks Rick,
The stone veneer will probably be the way I go. Is there anything i need to do to the chimney to prepare it for the veneer? It is brick, not smooth like the picture...

rickjames
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Depends a lot on the shape of the brick. I noticed you said it has multiple different materials. Is the surface flat? You can adhere stone veneer directly to brick or block. Me personally, unless it was in really good shape, I would do a scratch coat of mud like you see in the picture. Find a stone you like and make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions as far as attaching.