Schluter radius [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter radius

RandyL
02-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Anyone here use the radius profiles yet? And if you have how did you go about bending them? I know Karl Dahm has a tool for it but figured there was an easy cheap way to go about it.......Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
02-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Randy,

Haven't tried them. I'll move you over to the deep end? :)

RandyL
02-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks Buddy. Probably more results here. Where's Dave "Schluter" Taylor...... I thought that he'd jump right on this? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......Have you used the radius profle John?

RandyL
02-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Well......Im an Ass....you told me that you've never tried them then I asked you if you've ever tried them???????? :crazy: :dunce: Don't mind me.......it's that crazy Canadian beer again.....seems to follow me around ????? :D

John Bridge
02-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Dave must be taking a break. He'll be around. :)

JC
02-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Yea I've used them, I did a serpentine river rock walk way not to long ago and they worked nice.
I believe Blanke sells the tool your talking about.
I did not use the tool myself. The little trick I learned was to not try to bend it as you go as you will surely make the medal look jagged, but instead to grab the two ends of the medal and push them together to make your radius the way you want.
If you don't have to be perfectly symetrical this should work fine...if you do need a perfect circle you will probably have to draw the radius on the floor first using a nail and a stick.
After you have it bent the way you want I had to set boxes of tile on it to hold it in place while I nailed it.
For concrete I use a hammer drill and 1/8 inch carbide bit and what are called "aluminum drives" to secure it since the bends make, it hard to lay flat enough for thinset alone to hold it. Aluminum drives are a specialty flooring item only available thru carpet distributers as far as I know...use the 5/8 size. You can also use concrete tackless strip nails that are sold separatly to reinforce and hand nail it (1/2), those nails also another specialty item unless you rob some lower quality ones from a box of concrete tack strip.
Hope that helps-jc

David Taylor
02-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Randy and I sent each other PM's earlier. I just now remembered that Schluter in Germany had a model like the Dahm about two years ago. I'll check on Monday to see if they're thinking of stocking it here, too.

RandyL
02-22-2004, 03:42 AM
..I hope you do Dave, ....cus....no offence JC..., but I haven't really been able to follow ya. Either your a really bad exlpainer or I'm just a dumb ass..........:D .........I'm probably just a dumb ass!

RandyL
02-22-2004, 03:52 AM
YO HO! Me again.........O.K....... i follow ya now J.C....just had to release a few pints ....I guess my concern was how you would bend a few contours in the same length of metal......you description sounds great for a single curve,, have you done a multi-curve with the same piece? thanks Buddy. :)

JC
02-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Yes I have made S curves and I see no reason why you could not put a double hump bend to it the same way. The degree of bend depending on how much you push it together.
Have you seen the tool...I try to get a picher of it and post the url...but I imagine alll the bending tools are basically the same...konda of a standard medal working technique....they have two fixed rollers and one adjustable roller that moves closer or farther away to adkjust for the bend....it would be nice coz you pretty much get the exact curve you want...but I would think that if you wanted a more natural looking flow you might be better off without it......be right back.

JC
02-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Here's a phone nuimber http://www.tileusa.com/transitions_mfg.htm
I couldn't get a photo coz I can't get on the site for some reason but I think there is a photo in there somewhere.
Try blankecorp.com well actually it is www.blankecorp.com but just about every major browser automatically adds the www. so writing it is a waste of time.

madmax
02-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by RandyL
Anyone here use the radius profiles yet? And if you have how did you go about bending them? I know Karl Dahm has a tool for it but figured there was an easy cheap way to go about it.......Any ideas?
Thanks

Are you taking about the brass/aluminum edge strips?

Schluter makes a flexible strip. The bend fairly easy. You don't need a special tool or technique.

RandyL
02-22-2004, 02:42 PM
i think I may just buy a piece and play around with it . I've got one of those radflex contour tools too (not a depth guage). Anyone else have one? Just did some tile work in front of a rounded fireplace, had my curve set in literally 1 minute.......good tool.

Ron
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey Randy

How's it going?Yeah,I've seen that contour tool.If you ever come into Toronto,check out Tool Academy.It's a specialty tool store,lots of tile tools there. www.toolacademy.com :)

RandyL
02-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Hey, I'm doin' not bad eh! Dang ......I was just in Barrie and Toronto last weekend. Went to that big Fleamarket on the 400....think it was called the 400 fleamarket....:D kind of a letdown. Bought 15 meaty pepperette sticks for $5 and had crazy painfull diarehha for 3 days. Also went to Honest Ed's downtown. Ever been there? Another letdown.......Just a bunch of junk in there. Got lost a few times though....kinda neat. :)

Bill Vincent
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
It's a matter of not OVERBENDING it. Just a little bit at a time-- works great bending it by hand, once you have your radius drawn.