Grout sealerThe [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout sealerThe

RLW
02-20-2004, 12:04 PM
The guy that installed my tile said to use Mop and Glow to seal the grout, is that true?

Sponsored Links

davem
02-20-2004, 12:50 PM
To answer your question, no you don't want to use Mop 'n Glow to seal grout.

What type of tile, where is it installed, is the grout sanded or unsanded, how wide are the grout joints?

Welcome to the forum. :)

Dan the Man
02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
My post has been erased LMFAO, it was a perfectly feasable reply to this gentlemans question and you have erased it?

Why?

davem
02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi Dan,
I was the one that zapped your post. It didn't answer the question but instead informed our guest that you didn't even approve of the tile installation that they just paid dear money for. We try to be helpful, friendly and encouraging around here. :)

Dan the Man
02-20-2004, 01:48 PM
I was encouraging your member not to use the damn grout sealer lol and along with that a gave my personal preference to that type of installation.

Grout is NOT meant to be sealed in any circumstances!

Steven Hauser
02-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Dan,

What do you mean by never sealed under any circumstance?

I can think of several circumstances when a sealer would be advantageous.

Do you differentiate between a surface coating and an impregnating sealer?

I do.

Steven;)

Steven Hauser
02-20-2004, 03:09 PM
RLW,

I agree with Dave. The mop and glo should not be used as a grout sealer.

Steven:)

kemguru
02-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi Dan

Would you please explain that statement?

Sealing is always optional, no doubt, but you make it sound like a deadly sin to do so. Maybe folks want to keep their tiled surface looking great, after all that hard work, eh? It’s a quick, simple and inexpensive “insurance policy.”

Not all sealers are designed for all applications. ;)

I’m sure I understand where you’re coming from, but I’d like to hear it from you. :)

John Bridge
02-22-2004, 10:37 AM
I used to say sealing was a waste of time because the sealers at that time were little more than garbage. But with the advent of products (which are "breathable") that will hold up for a period of years at a time, I think it's foolishness not to use a sealer on your grout. :)

Dan the Man
02-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by kemguru
Hi Dan

Would you please explain that statement?

Sealing is always optional, no doubt, but you make it sound like a deadly sin to do so. Maybe folks want to keep their tiled surface looking great, after all that hard work, eh? It’s a quick, simple and inexpensive “insurance policy.”

Not all sealers are designed for all applications. ;)

I’m sure I understand where you’re coming from, but I’d like to hear it from you. :)

cement based grouts surely have the properties to withstand standard attack from general daily dirt etc. With good cleaning grouts are pretty care free these days. Other than seriously stainy products like red wine etc would make it a serious mess but in most cases an epoxy grout can be used which withstands even chemicals like hydrochloric acid (http://www.nsc.org/library/chemical/Hydrochl.htm) which a sealant would do absolutely nothin for.

maybe grouts can be sealed then lol and i took it a little too far (hehe) but if you can spend money on impregnators and golvpolish's then you may aswell fork out the extra bob for a good grout (non cement based)..

Just my view, I have been taugh all my life how to avoid bad grout and i always say treat the problem before it arises.

Dan

Dan the Man
02-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by John Bridge
I think it's foolishness not to use a sealer on your grout. :)

I think it's foolishness not to use a non porous grout. :shades: