Stone Master Roma ....can I install using PL Premium [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Stone Master Roma ....can I install using PL Premium

DYI934
09-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I'm going to be putting up Stone Master Stack stone on a wall in the living room and I want to know if I can use PL Premium to install this stack Stone product to a painted Drywall wall.

Some sites I have read state you can but I trust this one and would follow the advice that I receive from here.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to reply.

Rick

Sponsored Links

cx
09-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Welcome, Rick. :)

The only "opinion" other than your own that matters is that of the manufacturer of the product. What does he say?

Is this the product (http://www.stonemasterhome.com/stonemaster_007.htm) you intend to use?

If so, they provide pretty specific installation instructions. If you intend to install yours differently, I'd first contact the manufacturer and get their input on your method.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Lazarus
09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Check with the Mfg.....but, it's pretty sticky stuff.

DYI934
09-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey....Lazarus & CX Thanks for the replies.

The product states that an adhesive can be used. My concern is will the PL Premium be enough. I know I could use a metal lath and a scratch coat of mortar and use thin set to apply the stone. I have been told others have simply used the PL Premium and I was looking for someone who possibly have used this method to see what the long term effects were.

I want to avoid the mess if possible.

OhioFOPLawyer
09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I used PL Premium to put HD natural slate tiles over my country brick fireplace. I did not do the best job as a result of having to rejigger the design midstream cause my brother in law (cabinet maker) was incarcerated before he could build the custom cabinets he had promised me, but the 12 x 12 tiles have held up perfectly for 5 years. I also did the hearth step but on that i used thinset so as to support the entire slate tile from below. Several of those have cracked as a result of the hearth step being an actual step to go upstairs.

The PL Premium seems to be a decent choice. I would not want to try to clean it off if I ever chose to go back to brick, but I do not intend to do that.

OhioFOPLawyer
09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
FYI, I am an experienced DIYer, used this forum to do 300 sq ft of tile in my home plus an all tile master bathroom with a Kerdi shower. I don't know if it is the right way to hang slate tile on a brick fireplace (actually I suspect it is not) but it does work (in the sense that the slate remains attached to the wall).

IIRC the adhesive was somewhat "greasy" in the sense that the tiles would not pull away form the wall, but would slide down it. I started from the bottom and tiled my way up. Tried to do super thin joints but the tiles were not really square and some ended up wider than others. Used running bond pattern and a dark grout to fill the joints. I am not 100% thrilled with the results, but I get compliments on the final product.

DYI934
12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Up date:

I ended up using a thin set to apply the stone. I applied the thin set directly on the painted drywall. I used a thin set that was recommended for stone and granite and started from the floor and went up from there. As it was my first time doing this, I feel that it turned out great as I'm just a homeowner with very little experience.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

dhagin
12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I think it looks good Rick, way to go. :tup1: