Fusion Pro grout feedback request/input [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Pro grout feedback request/input

Pages : [1] 2

Lump
07-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Does anyone have any experience/feed back with Customs new Fusion pro grout? It is being launched Aug.1st 2012, but there are some test markets where it has been out for a while. It is being called a "single component grout" and from what I hear it is not portland cement based, not urethane, and not epoxy. We ordered 3 test buckets but would like some feedback from anyone who has any good or bad info before we order a bunch of stocking inventory so we don't get burned like we did on the first version of star quartz urethane.

Sponsored Links

Cain
07-26-2012, 07:57 AM
I used it a couple of Weeks ago.
It starts to get hard pretty fast when spreading.
I found having one guy spreading and another cleaning right away seemed to work best.
It looked good when done.
I was helping someone else on that job and can't say I would use it again, but it wasn't to bad to work with.

Lump
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
anyone else played with this stuff?

StoneTooling
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
We sell a ton of Custom grout (though SpectraLock is becoming a customer favorite). I am also interested to see how it fairs in the test market to see if it's worth bringing on board.

Lump
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
From what I've heard (rumor) is that the fusion will eventually replace spectra lock thats how confident these "they" people are with the fusion line.

StoneTooling
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM
:shrug:

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
08-01-2012, 07:27 AM
From what I've heard (rumor) is that the fusion will eventually replace spectra lock

I don't understand how this grout would replace Spectrlock when it's two different manufacturers and two different kinds of grout. Urethanes haven't replace epoxies they are just a different kind of grout.

I can't figure out if this is a urethane or if it's a completely new kind of grout.

jondon
08-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Just like StarQuartz when it came out everyone thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Open it up and mix the liquid in and grout, reuse when needed. Well we found out just how good it was.

With all due respect, SpectraLock has a proven successful track record. I don't think Granquartz or whatever they call it now is no competition as far as the market. Maybe a small piece of it.

Like any other grout, the bugs will have to be worked out of it. Course the guinea pigs will be us installers, we will ultimately pay the price. So with that being said, I'll wait a couple years till they get the bugs out then still be using SpectraLock the "money" grout in more ways than one;)

Todd Stull
08-02-2012, 09:38 AM
The last few years, I've been using the QuartzLock2 quite a bit with no issues or callbacks. I've heard all the horror stories with the original QL but all those bugs seemed to have been worked out.
The local Dal explained this stuff to be a bit different on the ingredients but the same working properties as urethane so I'm wondering if it is silicone based or something to that effect. I'm still undecided on trying it out.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
So I heard this stuff is a urethane grout. I think Custom is using the term "urethane based" or something, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

The one nice thing is that they have matching 100% silicone to go with some of the colors. :tup1:

jondon
08-03-2012, 06:02 AM
My question to Custom is why another Urethane grout? Yes there were problems with StarQuartz but it took years for them to come to pass. I remember ripping out grout I think it was about 3-4 years after it was installed.
So how do we know Urethane based grouts are good?

We know epoxy works why would we see another Urethane grout, people have come to realize the epoxy based grouts are much more friendly. At least SpectraLock is. I guess to each their own.

Cain
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Its not a urethane. Its a silicone, acrylic mix of some sort.
I was thinking it seemed similar to the sanded caulks but it felt overmixed, kind of fluffy.
It was weird. I would rather use spectra lock. Clean up is just as easy and I felt that the fusion left too,much haze.

tileaz
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
We did some testing of this grout last October and did some actual field testing in January. We have used a ton of quartzlock the last three years and this new Customs grout is much easier to spread and clean.

duneslider
08-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I have used quartzlock on a few jobs, including my own home (backsplash). I have found urethane grouts to be great to work with. Mapei's opticolor comes to mind too, also a great urethane grout. I personally have found both to be just as easy, or easier, to work with as Spectralock. Opticolor has been around a long time too. Doesn't seem as popular and I am not sure why but I haven't heard any stories of failure.

If I were to have to pick between the urethane grouts I have used and spectralock, it would be a tough choice.

Not sure why some are such urethane grout haters.

Lump
08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
The new fusion pro is not urethane. We do love urethane here and stock quite abit of (see pic). Just not sure if the stain resistance is all its cracked up to be with urethane. My 3 sample pails of fusion pro are coming to me monday, will do some testing and report back.

Kilauea
08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Id like to test any "new" grout on a mock up.I tried that CEG horse dung on one of my tub surrounds and had hell trying to get the joints full.I would not want to risk potentially ruining one of my projects with some "fresh" products that just came out.

I guess since CEG was such a flop,they had to crank out something new.It will probably be like the new Coke that they stopped manufacturing.

As for the Opticolor,aggregate is very large.This creates immense topical buildup.I've got some in my house as well as Spectralock.The Laticrete is superior hands down.

Todd Stull
08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
So far it sounds like the same grout that is sold with those SnapStone tiles:rofl:

John Bridge
08-05-2012, 01:43 PM
CX and I will be meeting with the Custom folks in San Antonio in a couple weeks to discuss this and other products. The word I've got is that Fusion will revolutionize the grout business. We'll report back. :)

P.S. Anybody in the San Antonio/Austin area wanna tag along, lemme know. :)

Steve Taylor
08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Fusion Pro is a totaly different grout. Our R&D have been working on this grout for the past two years and many in the field have tried the product during development. The technology is not epoxy or urethane and is patent pending. It is based on the latest acrylic technology blended with silicone resins. It has stain resistance equal to epoxy and we feel that it is as easy to install as a cement based grout. We have had numerous field test of the product and made it available to limited test markets; so we feel it is now ready for national launch. CEG-Lite has been well received by installers and now we feel that this is the next evolution of grout. It is ready to use, no mixing and if product is left over the pail can be resealed for later use. Send me a PM and I'll see that you get a sample.

Lump
08-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Just got my test pails in today......smells like windex.....will report back towards the end of the week.

jondon
08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
If it is not even out in the mainstream of the tile industry, to say it is going to revolutionize grout is a big statement. JB is big in this business so I am all ears. Can't believe anthything would be better than SpectraLock. Once it is out for couple years and is proven I'll give it a try if someone will send me a sample. Not sure if I am on that "important" people list, would like to be if I am not;) Important enough that is to get to try it out, no charge.

Lump
08-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I had to pay for the three pails that I got in......nobody likes me:(

StoneTooling
08-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Looking forward to see how you all like it. We want some feedback before we bring it on board.

Lump
08-10-2012, 06:38 AM
on post # 5 I meant to say prism grout not specta lock

Lump
08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Here is what we know so far ont the fusion pro.

1) coverage:( we did a standard shower surround 3x5 ish and 30-35 sq.ft. bath floor. we only got about 100 sq.ft. out of a 1 gallon pail. 12x12 tile 3/16" joint. The job was 113 sq.ft. and 1 pail didn't make it.
Pail says coverage should be more. and then states coverage could be 10 to 20 percent diffferent from job to job.

2) recessed shelf inside corners easily dug out also had to use very very light pressure or grout would pull out.

3) the floor grouted nicely

4) Drys/flashes quickly on surface (faster than urethane). Fusion pro calls for lots of water to be used (meaning dampen surface first). This may have been why we struggled on the vertical area.

Will try to use an alternate method next time for walls.....will report back once I know more.

Cain
08-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Sounds real similar to my experience.
I tired of having to re learn grouting.

koihito
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Haven't tried any Fusion Pro, but I got to see some at DAL. It looks/smells/feels exactly like Armstrong's acrylic grout that goes with their luxury vinyl tiles. I've used it twice and found it to shrink badly requiring two applications, but once its done it looks great and six months later (different job, same house) looked as good as the day it was installed. Our CBP rep said Fusion Pro won't shrink.

jondon
08-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Happen to come across this bucket and it's claim. I had this around probably since 2008 as a cleaning bucket and happened to take a look at the claim on the front. Kinda bold when it had barely been out on the market and I had a few jobs I had to go back and redo.

I think a grout such as this or this Fusion should be on the market for a few years before any claims can be made. We need competition yes and as stated in the other thread would be nice to have epoxy "sample" packs to do tests.

I like this statement on the front.....

Performs better than epoxy or cement.........lol

Lump
08-15-2012, 10:59 PM
That stuff failed miserably in showers.

Lump
08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Tried to grout vertical tile with out dampening the surface first....big mistake. We attempted this so we thought it would make it less easy for the grout to be pulled from the joint with the sponge.....surface needs moisture just as the instructions state. also attempted to grout crossville through body porcelain tile with out sealing the surface first another bad idea. We have test area now with half of the porcelain sealed with miracle 511 and the other half sealed with a cheap penetrating sealer from aqua mix to see how good of a sealer is really needed prior to grouting with this new grout. Will report findings tomorrow.

Peerless Tile
08-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Have a CBP demo here at Daltile Cola, SC for the Fusion Grout tomorrow. I'm gonna have to check it out for sure. Curious about coverage.

John Bridge
08-21-2012, 08:16 AM
CX and I will attend a demo tomorrow, Wednesday, at Cox Tile In San Antonio -- 2:PM. 111 East Turbo -- not far from the airport. :)

Lump
08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
The crossville tile still had heavy grout haze even with two types of sealer. Sealer didnt make a difference. As for the base we grouted the grout just dug out. Had to refill joints in base multiple times an be very gentle with the sponge. So far on the three vertical jobs we've done it gets a C- as for floors I will do more before giving grade. Will do more vertical work with it to give it honest chance also before we give up on it. Next project is my own shower floor where i am going the slap down some mosaics over my existing 50 year old shower and then use the white fusion pro. Then I can monitor stain resistance.

Peerless Tile
08-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm sure it's a great DIY product. Probably super for a back splash or small area, just not the kinda stuff I would use in most of the applications I come across. The extended final cure on this and like products is a hurdle I can't seem to find myself crossing.

cx
08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
We got a look at the new pookey yesterday and overall I think we were favorably impressed. I'll let John speak for himself, of course.

Nice texture. Doesn't seem to settle and separate in the bucket as do the urethane grouts. No pigments to stain anything. Just scoop it out and use it. Excess can be put back in the bucket for re-use.

Easy enough to pack in the joints, even thin joints in lugged four-and-a-quarters. Manufacturer recommends a soft rubber float, the ones that look like an epoxy float but are all soft rubber. And they seemed to work fine with the grout.

Color is completely consistent and remains that way wherever you put the grout. They (CBP) had sample boards that were 1, 3, and 7 days old and you could find not a hint of color difference in any of'em. They claim that there will also be no color difference between buckets or between years of manufacture going forward. You can't mix it incorrectly because you don't mix it.

We tried in on the white four-and-a-quarters, some glass mosaics, and some travertine mosaics. Easy to apply on all, easy enough to clean up. Excess water in the cleanup is not really a problem, but you can still overwork the joints with too much water and leave them insufficiently filled (but still with perfect color). We noted that on the travertine that the rep and I cleaned, scrubbing pretty agressively to get the film off the surface.

The joints were too washed out to suit JB, so we elected to put some grout release on another section, grout it, and clean much less aggressively, mostly dragging a soaked micro-fiber cloth over the surface. Worked surprisingly well.

Grout did not scratch the transparent glass tiles that I could see.

Got some of the secret ingredient lining the pillowed edges of the white glazed wall tiles, similar to what I've seen with urethane grout, but it came off very easily with some water later.

The stain resistance claim (cleanability, really) seemed true and accurate. We tried some catchup and some mustard on the 7-day-old sample. Rubbed it in, let it set for 15 minutes or so, wiped it off with wet cloth. Catchup cleaned off without a trace. Mustard (the cheap bright yellow stuff) left an obvious stain. Rep dipped his finger in some Aqua Mix cleaner, wiped it on the stain, let it dwell for less than a minute, gave it a couple light strokes with a scrub brush, and wiped the stain away without a trace. I think it'll get good marks in that area.

They are recommending a three-day cure before wet use such as showers, although they seemed confident that it would be quite durable after 24 hours. It's not being recommended for submerged use such as swimming pools, but as the rep pointed out, a gang shower in a commercial application will have a floor as wet as a swimming pool much of its life.

Recommended for exterior use, too. We asked about softening in the south Texas sun in August, and some discussion ensued. At about 160 degrees (I think that was the number) it does begin to soften some, but no permanent harm is done. Don't think I'd use it on my patio down here. The grout can be removed cleanly using a heat gun.

Waaaay too early to evaluate any durability or longevity claims, of course, and we all know situations will come up in the field that were never addressed in the R&D testing, but at a glance I think I like it.

I think it's actually gonna be a best-seller to the DIY industry, too. Impossible to mix it with too much water and almost impossible to use too much water in the cleanup, two of the most common grout problem causes we see. The pros may need to learn a lighter touch when using the stuff, but I don't see that taking more than about fifteen minutes of the first use. No steep learning curve here.

Can't speak to some of the problems Brad (Lump) is reporting, but all I've seen thus far were horizontal test boards. One thing I can comment on is the use of sealers for grout release. I would recommend he try an actual grout release instead. The one form Aqua Mix seemed to work quite well with this grout.

gueuzeman
08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
question. will the silicone based grout be dissolved by "no rinse enzymatic cleaners" like both spectra lock and star quartz seem to be?

just a thought.

Another question, why won't the kids iPad capitalize letters? Grrrrr.

cx
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Which grouts are silicone based, Gueuze?

Lump
08-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Try the fusion on vertical work. We have only used 6 pails so far going to try it on at least dozen more jobs before giving up on it or running with it. My guys hated urethane at first now the love it. Hopefully others give their input from job sites.

John Bridge
08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
We didn't do any vertical grouting. I thought about it once but then forgot. :)
I'll ask the folks at Custom to give a some pics of what they did vertically. I remember when I first used Prism grout on a shower with a tile ceiling I had all sorts of complaints. With Prism, though, the amount of water used in cleanup was critical. Not so with Fusion.

What does matter with Fusion is the amount of rubbing over the joints. As with all grouts, excessive wiping across the joints washes the grout too low. We found this to be the case with 2x2 tumbled travertine. After the first wash the surface looked pretty good, but you could feel grit on the surface. After the second try the joints came out a bit low to my thinking. That's when we went with the grout release, and all was well. :)

I took some pictures, but the camera I used requires a certain cable to download, and I don't have that with me. I'll post the pics early next week.

My preliminary thoughts on Fusion coincide with CX's. The concept is solid. Everybody wants a grout that goes in easy and cleans up easy -- and one that looks dynamite after it sets. The only minor problems we had were with cleanup (and, of course, we're not sure about vertical applications). In my mind Fusion is a go. The stain resistance and color-fast qualities alone make Fusion grout a keeper.

Let us know if you would like to give it a try, and Custom will get a sample bucket to you.

P.S. I'm sure one of these days CX will give it the Texas Hill Country heat test, but for now we know that 160 degrees will soften Fusion somewhat. It will return to it's original hardness when the heat is removed, though.

P.P.S. The Custom folks are pretty sure that Fusion will eventually be specified for submerged installations. They want to do more testing beforehand, though.

Steve Taylor
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
I want to thank John and CX for joining us in San Antonio. I also want to thank John Cox for letting us use his facility to demonstrate our latest grout.

Fusion Pro is based on the latest Acrylic and Silicone resin technologies. It is somewhat resistant to enzyme cleaners, but like most everything else it will not hold up to the no-rinse enzyme cleaners in areas exposed to heavy grease.

We have not seen issues in verticle instalaltion, but we have not seen everything. I will try to get some pictures or a video of a verticle installation for your review. Perhaps you can give us some real world pointers, that we missed. We do have a video at our website that shows the instalaltion of Fusion Pro and tips for using the grout.

As John said send me a PM and I'll see that you get a sample.

Steve Taylor
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Custom Building Products is currently running an on-line contest.

Contractors can register online at www.fusionprogame.com and are able to answer one question about Fusion Pro per day throughout the promotion (August 14th – November 9th) and have a chance to win a $10, $25 or $50 gift card daily. Also by registering and logging in daily contractors also earn one entry per day for the sweepstakes portion of the promotion. The sweepstakes prizes include a Samsung LCD TV, Samsung home theater system, digital camera and Titleist driver.

If you happen to purchase Fusion Pro during the promotion timeframe (August 14th – November 9th) you can earn an additional 5 entries per Fusion Pro Invoice by providing your invoice details and place of purchase.

So go on-line and play the game.

gueuzeman
08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Which grouts are silicone based, Gueuze?

Gee, from reading the thread I had got the impression that the Fusion grout was. But I'm just a hack hobbyist. :dunce:

Fusion Pro is based on the latest Acrylic and Silicone resin technologies.

Also-

No "submerged" application? As in a shower floor? ouch. can it be used in a wall corner instead of caulk, sems that it's a grout that stays a bit flexible?

Arimert
08-24-2012, 08:12 PM
normally submerged is a pool,not a shower floor.

gueuzeman
08-24-2012, 08:16 PM
My understanding is that a shower floor is deemed a "submerged area", but again, wtf do I know?

Ask if your caulk manufacturer warranties their siliconized latex color match caulk at the shower floor/wall transition, and they will usually tell you that.

Arimert
08-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Gueuz...thats my understanding .could be wrong tho .:shrug:

Just won a 10$ subway card by playing the fusion game.

cx
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I see that on their label for the Fusion, too, Gueuze, but I was thinking more acrylic and I really don't know what a "silicone resin" might be.

I asked to see if you knew of others since you were axin' in the plural. Never know when a hack will have a bit of useful information, eh? :)

Steve Taylor
08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
We label pools, fountains, and water features as submerged. Floors of showers are OK for Fusion Pro.

John Bridge
08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Shower floors only get submerged if the drain clogs . . . or if you stand on it for a long time.

Or if your helper dumped grout in the trap. :)

John Bridge
08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Got a few pics. Unfortunately some of them didn't come out well. Lighting was bad. That's my excuse.

As I mentioned earlier, we had a little problem grouting and cleaning tumbled travertine tiles -- small ones. To get the surface really clean we washed the joints a bit too low. Here is CX picking at it. :)

John Bridge
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
So on the other part of that sheet we used Aquamix grout release. That worked much better. Easy install.

John Bridge
08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
French's Mustard and McDonald's ketchup. What a combination. The test panel had been grouted a week or two beforehand, and the stain agents were allowed to dwell on the grout suface for about 10 minutes.

The ketchup came up with the first wipe. The mustard took a little more time and the use of a scrub brush. I see what looks like a little mustard residue in the picture, but I couldn't see it in person. The grout looked just like it did before the goop was put on it.

John Bridge
08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
This is the crew: L to R, Russell Brown, Custom's regional Texas Rep; Anthony Corwin, Custom's Sr. Channel Marketing Manager; John Cox, Cox Tile; CX; Steve Taylor, our guy at Custom :) ; and of course the good-lookin' guy on the end is me. :D

Steve Taylor
08-31-2012, 01:06 PM
I hope everyone has been playing the Fusion Pro Game. You can play everyday for prizes and a chance at the big prize drawing. You do not have to buy anything to play.

Also, the offer is still there for free Fusion Pro samples; just send me a PM.

tilemanct
08-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Hey John,
In post # 51 I can still see the mustard stain on the bottom photo.

Higher Standard Tile
09-01-2012, 01:02 AM
The mustard took a little more time and the use of a scrub brush. I see what looks like a little mustard residue in the picture, but I couldn't see it in person. The grout looked just like it did before the goop was put on it.

Dave- Looks lik JB mentioned that already.:)

Another point. I have found that the closer the sample board is to countertop height the easier the grout is to use. :)

But I am willing to give it a try. I will send Steve a PM.

enormis
09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Hey CX! Are those your legs or are you riding a chicken?:stick:

Sorry man, had to hahaha!

Steve Taylor
10-19-2012, 12:31 PM
You may have already seen the latest edition of Tile-TV, http://www.iwantmytiletv.com/, if not it features Custom's new Fusion Pro Grout.

There is still time to play the Fusion Pro Game. To date we have given out over 300 gift cards ranging from $10 to $50. Its free, so why not play.

Rock Solid
11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
We used Fusion grout for the first time a few days ago and for another floor today. After using it on floors I would prefer not to use it on walls. For walls I would rather use urathane or power grout. We used fusion on 6x24 porcelain planks with 1/8" joints. It takes a really light touch to not dig out the joints too low.

As for the light haze left behind Blaze takes it away nicely.

I would use it again if urathane isnt in the budget.

We didnt test the stain resistant qualities so I have no input there.

garybk
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am finding it very useful I do renovations and have a wall behind a pedestal sink that I just did in a glass and stone mosaic. The homeowner wants white grout so I was looking for something that didn't need sealing and found this thread. Would Fusion Pro be a good choice? Should I use aqua mix grout release?

What aboutTec Power Grout?

I also just finished a job where I used Quartzlock2 on a kitchen backsplash and a tub surround both in glass and a front entrance floor of polished marble. it's beautiful stuff but it left a film on the tile. It can't be buffed off but I see I can carefully scrape it. I'm in trouble with the homeowner. My supplier didn't know what to do and sold me some Blaze. I've never used it before. He sold me some scotch pads too . Will this work? If so what is the procedure, and how can I avoid the QL2 haze next time? Thx

John Bridge
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi Gary, :)

I think Fusion grout will work fine for you on glass tiles, and I don't think you'll need the grout release. I would try a little test before you smear it all over the place, though. It's good stuff.

I have no experience with TEC Power Grout. :)

Lump
02-18-2013, 02:13 PM
I also just finished a job where I used Quartzlock2 on a kitchen backsplash and a tub surround both in glass and a front entrance floor of polished marble. it's beautiful stuff but it left a film on the tile. It can't be buffed off but I see I can carefully scrape it. I'm in trouble with the homeowner. My supplier didn't know what to do and sold me some Blaze. I've never used it before. He sold me some scotch pads too . Will this work? If so what is the procedure, and how can I avoid the QL2 haze next time? posted by Gary

The haze will come off with blaze and white doodle bug. Star quartz 2 comes off on some times better that others. Next time you use it it may not have haze, its hit and miss depending on the tile surface. Never had one yet that the haze wont come off and we use it every day.

Here is the link on secondary star quartz cleaning.
http://www.bostik-us.com/sites/default/files/QuartzLock2.pdf

garybk
02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks Guy's. I've avoided a lawsuit. Lol. So spray blaze on. Doodle bug it and then keep washing off a sew square feet at a time? My supplier said for my next quartzlock2 job to keep the area I am about to grout wet with a spray bottle. Does that sound right?

Lump
02-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Sometimes wetting the surface makes the grout a bit runny. Just plan on using blaze for future work.

See the cleaning link in post 61

jondon
02-19-2013, 03:22 AM
posted by Steve Taylor:
There is still time to play the Fusion Pro Game. To date we have given out over 300 gift cards ranging from $10 to $50. Its free, so why not play.

Where do you go to play it? Lead the way......................:) Chickenlegs, hey don't feel bad people laughed at me growing up my legs were so skinny. Fastest guy around though:D

MNTileGuy
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
This thread's managed to slip by me until now. The the warehouse I get most of my tile from is starting to push it, but I'm not big on being a guinea pig of sorts. For now, Prism's worked great for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say.

If in a year or two all y'all are lining up saying how wonderful it is with no callbacks, I may sing a different tune.

dhagin
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Some here will get to use it in a few weeks at Custom's facility and you'll see some feedback here for sure. Maybe right here in this thread. :tup1:

Stay tuned....

jwmezzanotte
02-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Just found this thread as well.
(well, I did a search ;) )

Local building supply has informed me that they have access to Custom product. In fact the prizm grout was called for on a job they are looking at supplying.

I usually use Mapei or Ardex product (as thats what is stocked here) but always looking at alternatives.
In my showers I have been using Kerapoxy, I like the consistant colors and havent seen it stain etc. Have seen the white yellow a bit though.
Anyhow, I like the Kerapoxy but I hate installing it. I've gotten much better with the product, but still not something I enjoy.

I'd be interested in trying the fusion pro on a simple tub surround or something similar and see how I like it.
On that chance that someone who has used both...
How does the installation (I mean effort wise, not necessarily procedure) of fusion pro compare to Kerapoxy?
Cant see how it could be worse.. :monster:

I'm going to have to order some and give it a go.

jwmezzanotte
02-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Also, which "grout release" is being refered to in this thread?
couldnt find that anywhere, though Its late, and I'm tired and could have missed it..:crazy:

I'm gonna assume this one?
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/problem-solvers/aqua-mix-grout-release.aspx
(:crazy::blah::crazy:)

and this grout haze remover?
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/problem-solvers/aqua-mix-grout-haze-clean-up.aspx

Thanks
:)

Lump
02-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Just grouted a shower floor with it last week. Still unsure if we love it, like it or hate it. Customers have complained about the strong smell that it has. jury is still out.......but we are still playing with it.

John Bridge
02-26-2013, 06:44 AM
John,

The Aquamix grout release is what we used when Fusion was demonstrated for us a while back. We didn't have a problem with haze at that time, but Marge just complained that she had haze when she used Fusion on a shower floor.

We are going to be at Custom's training center next week. Fusion will be on the agenda, and we'll be sure to check on the haze thing. :)

cx
02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
I'll point out that the AquaMix grout release was a very scientific selection on our part. The demonstration was being conducted in John Cox's (jcsa) shop in San Antonio and there was a bottle on his shelf within a few feet of our test board.

When you do that kind of research, the selections are easy. :)

StoneTooling
02-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Just grouted a shower floor with it last week. Still unsure if we love it, like it or hate it. Customers have complained about the strong smell that it has. jury is still out.......but we are still playing with it.

We started selling it online because of the demand for it. We have had a customer complain of the smell too. They said they were feeling nauseous after a couple of days and ended up scraping it out and regrouting.

I hope it is something they can fix.

jcmartin217
02-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Never used this product but have thought about it. Just read the msds and read some of your replies. I may be overly cautious but I would not have my customers any where around when using this product.

"Inhalation: If breathed in, move person into fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen"

If not breathing? I hope they have had no examples of this situation. I know that the msds can be overly dramatic as I tend to read them more as anti attorney instructions. But I was wondering if there are warning labels on the buckets themselves warning of inhalation leading to respritory irratation?

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/media/2907940/msds_fusionpro_062912.pdf

jwmezzanotte
02-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Ordered some. Gonna play in the shop.
Ill read the msds for sure. "Dont breath" sounds simple enough.. Heh

RedRock
03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Just finished using Fusion grout on an entryway floor. I am pleasantly impressed with the product. The consistency was just right, spread on and packed well, and cleanup was a breeze. If it wasn't for all the issues with grout haze from comparable products I think I could have been done with just one cleaning. Based on some of my past experience, asking questions, and plenty of reading on this thread, I damp sponged the floor, only did a few square feet at a time, and cleaned with a terry towel sponge. After finishing, I made one more wipe down of the tile with cool clean water. The next day showed no signs of haze except in the corners of the doorway. Those easily came off with a razor blade. I had a bottle of Nanoscrub just in case there was any major buildup. Yep, I'll definitely be using this product again. :)

Hammy
03-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Just used some of it in the Lab at Custom. Some pretty neat stuff. Worked in well, cleaned up easily. Instantly stain resistive.

Hammy

Gary K
03-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I back up what Hammy said, (I was 5' from him). It was a neat product and was stain resistant. I just wish I could have seen some long term times on it rather than the 1 hour of dry time we had.

Houston Remodeler
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I am headed out to buy some today in white to make a few mock ups. I know my glass tile vendors will be very interested in this product.

Houston Remodeler
03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Daltile and Interceramic were both priced at $48 per bucket

Sent from my new crappy phone

StoneTooling
03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
We currently have it for $46 (can still price better for JB members) but it would still have to be shipped.

Houston Remodeler
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
That's good pricing Daniel. But I still try to buy local when possible. I will be ordering some kerdi band and washers soon.

Sent from my new crappy phone

jwmezzanotte
03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
We currently have it for $46 (can still price better for JB members) but it would still have to be shipped.

would that hit $100 by the time it were shipped to canada?
Thats what I was quoted by a local supplier. Ouch.

Ordered a gallon anyhow. (I think its a gallon, never actually checked) I want to try it out.

silvercitytile
03-07-2013, 10:43 PM
what gary said about having more hands on time with the product. but was very impressed with the ease of spread, clean up, shelf life, stain resistent properties, and pricing.
all and all i will give it a shoot.
in my experiance at CTU is that they have done some exclusive testing and they back there product.

Square pusher
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
John
There are a lot of places in Vancouver and Burnaby that stock Fusion.

I have used it on about 9 projects so far.
There was a small learning curve with clean up but apart from that....

If the colour matches I will recommend it before prism or any other brand

never having to worry about blotchy colour
no mixing
no dust

I could go on,

ok I will.

never having to seal.

I haven't used this product commercially and granted it is a new product
but after visiting the CTU I am pretty confident in this product
And will keep on using it as an upsell to my customers.

I believe that the value of this product in the long run, pays for itself tenfold.

jwmezzanotte
03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Peter
Ive been using kerapoxy for similar reasons, but im sick of working with it.

Im expecting this grout to be similar to work with as the acrylic (i think its acrylic, cant remember for sure) duraceramic grout.
Maybe im way off, but thats what im expecting

jondon
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Has anyone here used it on marble, got a job coming up if I get it and this seems like the grout to use. Epoxy I don't trust on marble and would use permacolor but Fusion seems like the grout to try on this.

Obie1
03-10-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm wondering the same thing Jon. I'm working on a marble master bath right now and was planning on using urethane, but after testing this stuff I'd like to give it a try.

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I happen to have a scrap of dens sheild, some crema landfill, 1/2 gal of delorean grey fusion pro, keraset, and a 12 pack of oatmeal stout. i'll report back in a few. (hours not minutes)

Cain
03-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Hank, that is one heck of a combo you got going on.
Have fun, get your oats

John Bridge
03-10-2013, 05:17 PM
You throw back that twelver you won't be reporting back in a few hours, not intelligently anyway. ;)

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 05:20 PM
already 4 in the bag :D

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Learned a couple things today. If you don't feel like mixing anything by hand, cause your drill/whip is on the job, and go for a bucket of mastic you've had for 3 months that you put a piece of plastic over the partially used mastic thinking it will last longer, the mastic will be infested with mold. Your wifes mixer is decent at mixing up plani patch but plani patch is a horrible tile setting material, (go figure) You actually can use a slide cutter to cut marble, and Firestone Walker Brewing makes an awesome/strong oatmeal stout.

Cain
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
:lol1:

cwilde72
03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
So aside from all that, how'd the test go Hank? :D

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
waiting for the plani patch to dry some more, then I'll grout it.

cwilde72
03-10-2013, 07:36 PM
You gonna tell the wife about the mixer or just surprise her with a new one?

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Pfff! Wasn't about to use that jallopy of a mixer she had before, the one I used WAS the new one. :tup1:

cwilde72
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
LOL!!! This is going to be an interesting night. I nominate Hank to do all the forum testing from here on out!

Obie1
03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Looking forward to some interesting pics from Hank:cheers:

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 11:08 PM
So, Spreading the grout was fairly straighforward. The second I started spreading it though, I realized that pre-sealing the tile would have been a good idea. I'd put it on and it was nice and creamy but then when I would go to squeegy it off it was already pretty hard to scape the excess off with the float. Since this was a 3 sq ft sample board, were talking about a matter of seconds. I'll have to try again with some sealer.

I was trying to imagine I'd spread more like 5-10 sq ft so I let it sit for about 2 min and started washing. Again some sealer would probably help. It had already gotten pretty difficult to wash. I had to use a scrub pad, then follow up diagonally with a sponge. That didn't quite get it all off, so I had to just keep the areas still on the tile damp and scrub scrub with the sponge, right up to the edge of the tile being carefull not to touch the joints.

I wasn't really happy with the joints, they were about as full as I wanted them to be, but look kind of over washed, maybe you can tell from the pics. Definately going to try again but seal the marble first. As far as scratches, I'm pretty sure I didn't scratch the marble with the Fusion pro grout, This marble comes from lowes and they're nice enough to sell it pre-scratched, so Its hard to say.

While looking it over, some balsamic vinegarette dressing from my sub landed right on a grout joint. I just took the wet sponge and wiped it off, and so far theres no indication that it happened at all.

Hank B.
03-10-2013, 11:24 PM
My experience with Fusion pro previously was pietre del nord 24x24 matte porcelain by emser, 1/16th joint. On that job I would spread about 10 sq ft at a time then It wiped right up, just a circular motion with the sponge, then diagonally, then follow up with a micro fiber rag an there was no haze left. course this floor is a little dirty in the pic but not from the grout.

Obie1
03-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Good info hank!

Where's a good place online to get those big micro fiber towels?

Topspin
03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Just tried fusion Pro last week at the JB forum event at Custom, looks pretty neat. Just wondering if it has one of the same properties that quartzlock claims in a bit of flexibility. One of quartzlock's demonstrations is that they will make a color channel kit size stick of quartzlock, let it cure and then show that it can bend a bit and twist without a problem. It's an interesting, nonscientific, illustration of its flexibility. And I just wanted to see if that was also a feature of fusion Pro grout. So if it hasn't been discussed before already, and somebody has a fusion grout job on going, why don't we see if it does the same type of thing by making up a sample stick, maybe set in a wax paper form and then showing the result. Pics please.

Houston Remodeler
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I made some samples with White fusion on carrera, thassos, calacata, and some other white marble, along with frosted glass, star glass, and plain glass.

Will post pics after work

StoneTooling
03-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Obie, are you looking to get the ones we used at Custom or just a generic one? We carry the Custom ones but you can use the ones for washing your car they sell at Pep Boys or even Target.

Hammy
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I buy mine at http://www.biglots.com/ it was 24 for $10, but I think they went up.

Hammy

Cain
03-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I get my microfibers at home depot.
I wouldn't call them big, but they come in 24 packs.
I like the green ones. They match hydroban

Hank B.
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I get the blue ones from home burrito, 24 for 10$. I'll check ST for the big ones, be nice for final wipe on big floors.

basssnake
03-12-2013, 04:46 AM
So, whats the verdict? Is this stuff better and easier than urethane grouts?

Also, i assume that the Quartzlock2 is suitable for showers? I read that lump had some shower issues with the original stuff.

Lump
03-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Jury, is still out. Still on the fence. The coverage issue has been corrected on the new pails. Going to put in another dozen pails or so before concluding.

Quartz lock 2 works great in non steam showers. For Everyday cleaner use soft scrub.

John Bridge
03-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi Jack,

There are some pictures in the sticky thread at the top of this page. :)

jondon
03-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Paul looking forward to your pics of the different materials, as I mentioned while back now in this thread is this gonna work on marble and not leave any etching:scratch: Had problems before with etching on white carrera.

Switchpath
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
What do you guys think about the flexibility with this stuff? Think it can be used in place of silicone on an inside corner?

cx
03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Doesn't matter much what we think, Kyle, matters what the manufacturer recommends. Best of my knowledge CBP considers this to be grout (meeting A118.3 and A118.7) and recommends it be used in accordance with industry standards, including a flexible sealant at changes of plane in the tile installation.

If you can find where they recommend otherwise, please let us know. :)

jwmezzanotte
03-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Still waiting for my bucket to show up.
Im getting the feeling they forgot to order it for me. Frustrating living in the middle of nowhere..

jondon
03-24-2013, 12:32 PM
No pics from Paul on how it did on marble, marble job coming up so I will just go with brand X I know works:whip:

rocat1997
03-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I have a question about the Fusion Pro. Would it work well in a shower? I need a grout that can do glass tile and am afraid Spectralock will scratch. Plus, I need it to do 1/16 grout line. Thanks,

Roger

jwmezzanotte
03-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Roger
I read on their website that it is ok for showers. Hope so, thats what i intend to use it for.
Gonna do some experiments on it, curious what will happen to it if it stays soaked.
That is if i ever get my bucket! :complain:

rocat1997
03-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Where are you getting your product at? Home Depot has to special order it.

jwmezzanotte
03-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Local building supply.
To be fair i live in a small town at the end of the road in the middle of nowhere. Cant blame them for not stocking specialty items, especially with a shelf life.

StoneTooling
03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
We stock a couple of the basic colors but for the most part it is a special order. The turn around time is pretty quick though.

Steve Taylor
03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
As CX says, Fusion Pro is not to be used in place of caulk at change of planes and it does not replace the need for expansion joints. It has been formulated to be like traditional grout and not the more flexible caulk.

It will not etch marble, but it does contain some sand and should be evaluated for scratching the surface. Fusion Pro is smoother than a sanded cement grout and in many cases, it does not scratch the surface of the tile, but it should be checked.

Houston Remodeler
03-27-2013, 08:48 PM
We did our second job with Fusion today. It was a pleasure to work with and if I can swing it, will replace cement based grouts on all our jobs. I'll post pics of this install tomorrow, probably.

I did find that cleaning as fast as possible made install very easy. I'd grout a few feet, then clean right away using the traditional yellow sponge followed by my new, Hammy approved micro-fiber towels. They made very quick work of the grouting process, basically a one pass operation.

In my test samples Fusion made no difference to Calacutta or Carrera marble. Thassos took it on the chin though and had severe infusion of the liquid part and this discolored the Thassos. Granite with pock marks was also a no no. Overall I am very pleased with the grout. :postitbg:

jwmezzanotte
03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Nice paul
Cant wait to try it out

Higher Standard Tile
03-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Paul- do you think you could have gotten that Oceanside glass tile on the sample board the manufacturer provided looking a little straighter?

Oh wait did I say Oceanside . . .

Thanks for the report on the grout.

Houston Remodeler
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Locally our Interceramic and Daltile carry Fusion.

Both are in the wrong direction for work Monday.

Is Interceramic open on Saturdays? EDIT - the showroom is, not the Pro desk ; (

Am I supposed to read the words on the glass door when I walk in?

jwmezzanotte
04-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Finally got my pail of grout.
Havent had the chance to try it out yet, but I can already see that its not gonna work out for me :(

I can't be waiting well over a month for product. Took way too long, that's one problem.
The other issue, the price by the time my local building supply got it to me, nearly $120.00 for the pail :eek:
I'll play with it soon

Frankstile
04-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Has anyone figured how much extra time it takes to install vs. cement based grout.:stick::deadhorse

John Bridge
04-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Frank, :)

No extra time at all. In fact, after the learning curve it probably takes less. You start washing immediately, and if you finish with a micro cloth you're done. :)

gueuzeman
04-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Is it hard enough to work on top of the next day? I only used it once, didn't ever have to go back.

Shower ready in how long? (7 days?)

Steve Taylor
04-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Fusion is ready for traffic the next day and can be exposed to water in a shower after 72 hours in most cases. As with many grouts, it is dependent on climatic conditions, but this should hold true for most.

Hank B.
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Having used it on a large floor and shower now I can say Steve's tellin it true. Course on my floor the joints were only 1/6 the but it was pretty hard. Got some dirt on it next day and it wiped right off.

I've also found it to be just as easy as regular grout. It does seem best to spread then wipe immediatly. It's real easy to do because you just lightly put the lid on the bucket, or depending how much your spreading just leave it off.

Goof off liquifies fusion pro instantly.

Houston Remodeler
04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Fusion Pro is our new go to grout. We used it on our last shower of ceramic 6x6's. Grouting / sponging / micro fiber is basically a one pass operation.

ob1kanobee
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM
I've got to use Quartzlock 2 grout this week. Anybody have any pointers for that? My partner is up north and he said to put a couple of tablespoons Dawn soap in water (3 or 4 gallons) and wipe floor with it and wipe up floor with it and don't do more than 15sq. ft. at a time. He says Dawn is the trick and not going too far.

Also he said not to mix it but I watched a YouTube video of it being very very very gently mixed for 30 seconds. I'm not sure what to expect when I open the bucket. Seems like the stuff would be seperated inside after sitting for so long.

Ahha I found the video from Bostik:
http://www.installerstore.com/Bostik-Colored-Urethane-Grout.html

Topspin
04-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Ben,

I always tell my customers that "QuartzLock2 grout is really consistent, and never have a problem . . . unless you get one of the buckets with the white slimy mold on top."

Then I open the bucket of Espresso Brown with what looks like a vanilla milkshake poured on top of it, and the customer gasps. I give a forlorn look for a second before I tell them that I was just kidding. All the buckets have white stuff on top when you get it.

Yes you need to mix it up.
No I don't use any pretreatment of the tile in advance (no soap for me)
New sponge that's firm so when you do your wax on, wax off circles you stay on the plane of the tile without gouging grout.
Rely on the Blaze if you see your gouging your lines. Meaning, do a light clean up - knowing that you can come back tomorrow and use Blaze to clean it all up just fine.

Buckets can vary in viscosity a bit. So if you get a soupier one, leave the lid off a bit more than with a standard mix to let it dry out a little.

Watch for sags on verticals that can happen later. Just did one yesterday and no sags after grout and cleanup. But this morning I saw that I did get a sag in a couple spots. Easy fix, but if you grout at the end of the day, keep a sharp eye out to touch up before you go home.

Easy stuff.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Fusion Pro Thread

John Bridge
04-24-2013, 06:26 AM
We've got QuartzLock threads. This one is for Fusion Pro. Please, folks. Things get confused enough around here. :)

MNTileGuy
04-24-2013, 07:02 AM
After my initial experiences with Fusion and reading ya'll's glowing reviews on here, I'd think you're all on CBP's payroll! :rolleyes:

I'd say Fusion at least doubled my time from Prism. I felt like I was grouting with sanded caulk. To me, that was the feel and consistency. It also shrunk in many places like a sanded caulk and had to go back and re-touch them the next day.

My project in question was a floor with 3/16" grout joints and walls with 1/16". The walls weren't too bad, only some shrinkage, but the floor killed me. Had a horrible time getting it wiped to a good finish. In addition to the shrinkage, I found many places the next day where the sponge "snagged" it and I had to retouch.

At this point, I won't use it again until I'm able to get some hands on training. Apparently the rest of you have some tricks that you've learned at the CBP class that makes it alot less frustrating.

I will say the the stuff seems to perform as advertised though. Very color-fast and stain resistant.

ob1kanobee
04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Sorry John I was on my phone after a 12 hour day on my knees and didnt have the luxery of a nice confuser and a Corona kicking back. My iPhone does not allow me to search without constantly closing out the window. Do to type the word Obama is a chore in itself. I can't imagine typing Quartzlock. Probably take 30 minutes or so just to find one thread and I did try while sitting on the throne but the woman was also yelling to take s shower. Another hour of work. It was an emergency.

Thanks Kevin! Ya probably saved me time and money.

dhagin
04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
until I'm able to get some hands on training

Yea, that helps for sure. Not sure if CBP does local dog & pony shows at your suppliers, but maybe check into it. :)

or ask here
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/support/contact-us.aspx

jwmezzanotte
05-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Ordered a pail of fusion pro in my home town, $120 (ish, forgot exact price) and figured it wasnt gonna work for me, that and it took a month to show up.

Im out of town for a few days, happened to be reading the home depot flyer. Its $64 and in stock! This is just an 8hr drive from my home, not impressed! :complain:

I think ill pick up a few pails of common colors while I am here, and inquire about shipping. Really not pleased, time to shop around I guess. I expect a mark up for shipping costs etc, but double is a bit much!

jwmezzanotte
05-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Ben,
My i-phone does that as well. If you search in the advanced search bix instead it doesnt do that.

StoneTooling
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
John, we currently have it on sale. Shipping depends on where you are and how much you order. Some of the less popular colors require a couple of days lead time but we notice it gets out pretty quick.

http://www.stonetooling.com/Fusion-Pro-Single-Component-Grout-Gallon-p/30-00416.htm

jwmezzanotte
05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks Daniel!
Great service on my last order through your store. Will look into it when i get back home :tup2:

Houston Remodeler
05-06-2013, 03:53 PM
After using Fusion a few times I will heartily suggest that you

WEAR GLOVES

as it will stain your skin for a few days and will coat a wedding ring.

Granted it only looks like scleroderma and not leprosy, but why bother to tell everyone who sees your hands that its not contagious.

jwmezzanotte
05-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Good idea Paul,
Ive got a few Aqua-d-shirts.

"Doing some painting?"
:bang:

MNTileGuy
05-10-2013, 07:05 AM
I appreciate Steve Taylor PM-ing me about learning me about this stuff. I suggested they set something up with my shop that's pushing this to reach a wider audience.

In the meantime, I used Prism on my last job. A little slice of heaven, it was. :tup2:

rocat1997
05-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Question for everyone on this grout. I am fixing to decide on grout. Would fusion pro or spectralock pro be better for a diy'er? I have came to choosing between these 2. I want the stain protection not offered by cement grouts. Thanks for your input.

John Bridge
05-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi Roger, :)

That's going to depend on what you're using it for. What type of project? :)

rocat1997
05-16-2013, 08:23 AM
It's a shower stall and bathroom floor. Porcelain tile. 3/16 grout joints.

Houston Remodeler
05-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Fusion would be easier IMHO as there is no mixing and almost no time requirements.

Grout 2 square feet then clean. Grout 2 square feet then clean....

rocat1997
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
How would you rate the durability compared to each other ?

Houston Remodeler
05-16-2013, 02:02 PM
I'd say equal from what I can tell without scientific testing equipment. Both manufacturers give nice warranties.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
05-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I just used the Fusion grout on a recent project. So far, I'm impressed. I like it better than Quartzlock2 from an installation standpoint.

Pros:

You don't have to mix it, just open the container.
Seems to spread easier.
I thought cleanup was even easier.
It seemed to stay full in the joint, but I'd like to see how it performs with a rectified tile before fully making this claim.
Custom Building Products has color matching 100% silicone caulks to go with it.

Cons:

The smell
Also it's hard to describe to people what it is.

"Is it a urethane"

"Technically, no"

"What is it then?"

"Well, it's some sort of siliconized something-or-another. It's supposed to compete with the urethanes."

"We heard that urethane was good. That's what we want. Have you heard of Quartzlock?"

Overall, though,I think Custom has hit a home run with this. I picked up a color chart at a local distributor and am going to offer this as my stainproof grout option.

Hank B.
05-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah Jim, smells like Windex. I've also been frustrated trying to sell it. " single component" means nothing to me and it definitely doesn't mean anything to a homeowner. Epoxy and urethane they understand. I for one would like custom to give me a better way to describe its benefits other than " it's good, single component of something or other, just take my word for it". I assume it's silicone/acrylic but improved somehow until told otherwise

Higher Standard Tile
05-26-2013, 11:11 PM
My understanding of the single component term is that it is a professional way of saying premixed, without using the term premixed.

That term used to scare me off too until I tried Trucolor/QL 2.

I got to try the Fusion Pro at the Custom training. What impressed me is that after only a few minutes after cleanup they (on purpose)spilled a coke on the bright white Fusion Pro and it didn't stain and wiped right up.

Hank B.
05-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Yep did that with some coffee but completely by accident on the delorean grey. It's great stuff I don't doubt that one bit. Looked on the website, "advanced acrylic with sillicone resin"

Houston Remodeler
06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
At one of my not so local Home Depot's

They carry more colors than the Daltile I go to.

ob1kanobee
06-11-2013, 07:09 PM
It's easy to sell that grout. I have only used regular grout once in the last 2 months. I start a lot of sales by suggesting "I don't know about you but I'm a visual person. What about you?" "Yes" then show a few pics of dirty grout, cracked grout ect. Then show new grout pics and ask what they would like their grout to look like down the road.

In my years I've only ever had one person say they were not visual (at all) and he was an engineer. Didn't get the sale. Had three meetings with the guy and thought I was close. I was also expecting him to hand me over close to one million dollars. He's in my Christmas card file.

Prospects don't want to here a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo. Most need a quick visual and that's it. You can also suggest to them that it is the new thing and everybody is doing it. Cement grout is like eight track tapes or VCRs, whatever.

Some prospects like remodels just ask, "so why do you want to replace this shower?" "Because it looks like crap!" "What the tile? Too small too big?" "Yeah small ugly tiles. Can you put one big tile on the wall?" "Why" "I hate grout" "What do you hate about it?" ect. ect.

Bottom line is ask the right questions instead of talk but engage people and they will sell themselves.

Topspin
06-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Ben, I still like the line, "Do you want the grout that doesn't stain, or the one that does?"

Was thinking of using "Do you want the grout that doesn't crack or stain, or the one that does?" But that gets too complicated.

Like you, I haven't used anything but QuartzLock or SpectraLock - since last October. Everybody gets some high end grout. Still wanting to try Fusion tho.

basssnake
07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
So, what is everyones opinion on the fusion pro versus quartzlock2(or bostik tru-color) urethane in terms to installation and function in being waterproof and a being a excellent choice for a shower installation?

cx
07-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Mmmm, Jack? If you'll read through the thread you'll find a number of comparisons of those two products and a whole lot of opinions on the usability of the Fusion Pro. Really you will. :)

ob1kanobee
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I used the Fusion for the first time today on a marble floor. In my opinion it was much easier to work with than Quartzlock and cleaned up easier. It also stayed in the grout joint better vs. sinking. So far I'll take it over Quartzlock.

I'm not certain but I was told Quartzlock has a ten year warranty and Fusion is one year BUT I dunno. I never was one to get hung up on warranties. To many ways for manufactors to get out of the warranty and usually they are right. I went to a job I did a couple of weeks ago and the maid was cleaning the floor I installed with Quartzlock using bleach. I'd venture to say that's unacceptable but I dunno.

Arizona Floors
07-03-2013, 07:56 PM
I actually used both Quartzlock and fusion today, 2 different jobs. Here's my take, keep in mind I have been using quartzlock2 regularly for almost a year so I'm partial.

Job 1 was a highly textured porcelain tile on a shower surround with about 50 ft of polished porcelain tile on the floor. Everything was 1/8" joints. We used Quartzlock on this and we were in n' out. No need for a second wash at all, no haze. Easy as always!

Job 2 was 400 ft of 12x24 polished porcelain tile with 1/16" joints all on a floor. We used Fusion Pro. I really liked how it spread, but cleaning was more than difficult. It set up so fast we were cleaning, with great difficulty, every 2 square feet. The grout was at room temp for over a day, we tried dampening the tile ahead too. Nothing we tried made it easier. Oh and did I mention the haze? I have no desire to use it again.

MNTileGuy
07-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, it is reassuring that I'm not the only one that had a less than pleasant experience with it. I was talking to one of the guys in the warehouse where I get a lot of my material and he said a lot of other installer have been giving negative feedback too.

Seeing how everyone that's been to the CBP training can't sing enough of its praises, I'm convinced there's some tricks that aren't inherently obvious.

I can't promise it'll ever convince me to use it again, but if CBP has a training in my area, I'll definitely attend.

jondon
07-04-2013, 06:12 AM
posted by Brad:
Seeing how everyone that's been to the CBP training can't sing enough of its praises, I'm convinced there's some tricks that aren't inherently obvious.

Everyone? Don't use premixed grouts and don't plan to, so here is one not singing any praise. They have products I do praise like the lightweight technology but this thread is about Fusion Grout:usflag: Only thing I saw unique was using a microfiber cloth to do the wiping, how do you use that on walls? That is not new technology though the microfiber cloth.

John Bridge
07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
With Fusion Pro you start washing almost immediately, which means you don't let yourself get behind. If you are a one-man-show, do only about ten square feet and then clean it up. Do another ten feet, etc. A two-man-team can make it just fine. As with everything new, there is a learning curve.

I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but I'm one of those surly guys who attended the JB/Custom training session. :D

I have not used Quartzlock, so I can't compare. :)

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm a big fan of Fusion but I don't feel that's it's all that different than Quartzlock2. I find that it works extremely well with tile that has a rounded "shoulder" type edge to it. With rectified tile it's a little more difficult but I don't know that it's any worse than QL2.

I grouted a ceiling with the stuff yesterday. It spreads the easiest of any stain proof grout. If I had used QL2 it would have been all over the floor. I pre-wet the surface and only spread 5-6 ft at a time when by myself.

This is the first option that I give to customers for a stainproof grout. The second is QL2. The fact that it's made by CBP and they have matching 100% silicone caulks gives it a slight edge over QL2 as far as I'm concerned.

cx
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
The fact that it's made by CBP and they have matching 100% silicone caulks gives it a slight edge...Have you actually checked out those colors, Jim? When the 100 percent silicone caulks came out there were only five colors, to my recollection. And that was before Fusion Pro was introduced.

I can't say they have not added more colors to the silicon caulk line, but I'm not aware of any such expansion. Do tell. :)

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
07-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Definitely more than 5 colors nowadays.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/grout-materials/caulk/commercial-silicone-caulk.aspx

edit: I have a hunch that every Fusion color has a matching 100% silicone but I'm too lazy to research this. :)

Arizona Floors
07-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I no longer hate this grout, but it won't be my first option I give clients for high performance grouts.

We spent a bit of yesterday trying to remove the haze - a utility blade worked best. I gave up and went back this morning with a few different cleaners, not sure what would work best. (Windex, simple green, lift off, denatured alcohol and blaze) I started with blaze and that seamed to make it worse. Then I tried windex not much better. Then I used Lift Off - a latex based paint remover. This worked really well even on a spot were I completely missed cleaning. It worked just like Blaze does on urethanes. Only took 45 minutes to clean what I thought would take all day.

The fumes from the whole process, both grouting and cleaning, are something that will make me shy away from this grout. Of course my comments have nothing to do with performance only installation.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=147325

ob1kanobee
07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah the fumes from both the grout and the cleaner/s aren't going to be very friendly when it comes time for my seasonal headaches. I'm sure they will be triggers.

Beaux
07-04-2013, 04:31 PM
The one thing I do with fusion/qlk is treat it like an epoxy when spreading. Pack it tight and use the edge of the float to strike the joint flush and clean the face of the tile. To where it looks finished before I hit with a sponge. Meaning there is little to no residue left on the face of the tile. By the time I spread 10 or so feet. I go back with luke warm water and a white scub pad lightly cleaning only the face of the tile. After 40 or so feet, change water and start cleaning the floor with a Dry sponge and a light hand. buff if needed before I leave for the day.

ob1kanobee
07-04-2013, 06:08 PM
A good grout float is also key. I use the Superior grout floats. The red one works incredibly well. I bought the green epoxy one too. I try and keep mine clean after spreading and spray some blaze on it periodically and rinse. I can't find the link I'm looking for but I did find one that looks like the red one. I think it is and just labeled with a different name. The red one works great on every grout I tried cement or otherwise.

http://www.flooringtoolsandmore.com/product_info.php?cPath=145_171_242&products_id=185

barradas23
07-05-2013, 03:32 PM
so ive used this grout on about 3 or 4 jobs previous to this one, showers and floors. never had a problem although i noticed milky looking liquid coming from the joints after being cleaned and if not taken care of would porbably stain the tile

well, we did this 800sf of polished marble last week 18x18 crema marfil, we grouted it like normal with fusion pro linen color; one guys spreding (slow), one guy cleaning.
today we went back to seal it(this was an afterthought from the shop i got this job from) and dang!!! i see the floor with all this residue, tried water frst, no luck, then nano scrub but by the time you scrub hard enough to take it off you start scratching the marble:shrug:
i read of haze and white doodle bug earlier on the thread but not sure what they are and if they would work for me

thanks in advance
(my last thought was to use a car buffer with nano scrub, but i thight i would give yalll a try)

Arizona Floors
07-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Oscar, try "Lift Off" latex based paint remover at Home Depot. It worked very well for me on a high polish porcelain. Obviously make sure the marble doesn't have a reaction first.

The bottle looks like this:

barradas23
07-05-2013, 06:40 PM
how did you apply it? i dont want to rub it cuz like i said the "non scratch" scrub pad was starting to scratch it

Arizona Floors
07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I sprayed until slightly damp on a microfiber towel and gently wiped. It cut right through the fusion haze. Not even a need to let it dwell.

Spray the towel not the floor. ---test area first, again, I did this on porcelain---

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
07-08-2013, 10:17 PM
What are you guys doing to silicone after you grout with these urethane single component grouts? I wouldn't think you could touch them with alcohol after they are grouted.

I've been making a special trip back 72 hours later just to silicone and check for grout haze. But I haven't been getting any haze and it seems like a waste of a trip. Are you guys able to silicone the same day?

Houston Remodeler
07-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Since we are back to do the plumbing trim out, install HC bars, electrica trim out, we caulk the next day.

We use micro fiber towels and have no haze issues.

barradas23
07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
That lift off product did work!
I anybody ever have problems go ahead and buy this product, with a little elbow grease it works like a charm!

Houston Remodeler
07-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the update. We can always use handy tips like this.

Somewhat carefully typed on teensy cell phone keys.

Arizona Floors
07-09-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm glad it worked for you Oscar. :)

barradas23
07-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Just to add more info

This haze had been on the tile for almost a week!
The shop I got this job from were scared to death, that they might have to replace the floor:complain:
I tried nano scrub with no luck and got worried as well

barradas23
07-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Thank you Jesse!

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
07-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Today I grouted this backsplash with Fusion grout and waited about 2-3 hours to silicone it. It seems like it works fine. It seemed to be set up hard enough to where hitting it with alcohol wasn't a big problem. Trying to get back in on floors is probably a different story.

Obie1
07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
This stuff is really awesome, and if my guys have a choice between this and trucolor, they'll take the fusion pro in a heartbeat. Very user-friendly. We're using a non-cement grout 90% of the time now and it's usually fusion pro. Any grout hazing we've had we take it off the next day(s) with bostik blaze(for trucolor). It works really well, but we rarely get hazing. We use the sponges with a microfiber side to it.

JP Tile & Stone
07-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the lift off tip Jesse it worked great.:cheers: I was also having a hard time with hazing on porcelain. Even with pre wetting the tile and doing two square ft at a time the fusion seemed to dry almost instantly on the surface. I did love the consistency and how easily it spread. And now that I know how to remove any leftover haze I plan to use this grout more often.

Arizona Floors
07-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Jeremy, I'm glad it worked for you!

Houston Remodeler
07-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Friday the floor grout arrived. Its a dark brown color of fusion. We had previously grouted the white subway tile walls with bright white grout.

When we grouted the floor, the dark brown was troweled and sponged against the bright white. To my pleasant surprise the dark brown wiped off using a damp microfiber towel, leaving a perfect white grout line behind.

No masking off necessary.

way cool

Hank B.
07-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Some other stuff that's way cool, last night I was painting my laundry room which is grouted with fusion pro- earth. Since its my house I was drinking a nice cabernet. While moving my step ladder, I knocked the cab off the bench it was sitting on and the whole glass of wine was all over the grout. I was due to go pick up some Chinese food so I just sponged it up quick. When I got back to it about 15 min later I was able to clean it up without any stain whatsoever with just water and a rag. saweeeet! Then this morning I'm in there working again and the puppy comes in, looks up at me and pees on it. again, no stain, easy clean up. What's even cooler is that the grout had only been in for 3 days, not the recommended 7 before full stain protection.

John Bridge
07-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Hank, at the Custom workshop in L.A. they put ketchup and mustard on it right after installing it. Cleaned up with one swipe. :)

Hank B.
07-28-2013, 09:37 AM
On a different job, I spilled coffee on it immediately after installation. No problems. loving this stuff. I just hope the price doesn't get out of control. Right now its pretty easy to upsell.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure 3 days is the cure time not 7 like the other brand.

I like the stories of how well it holds up. This is the grout I like from an installation standpoint so I'm really hoping it works well for my customers also.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Hank B.
07-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Your right Jim, 24hrs before traffic, 3 days before exposing to water and 7 days protection from exterior conditions.

Tileguy09
08-03-2013, 06:38 AM
I installed a full shower using a Schulter Shower system. I used Fusion Pro grout thru out the shower including the floor. Has anybody had problems with Fusion Pro grout coming out of the floor of a shower? I have replaced it once already and its coming out again. The pan feels solid, the floor tiles are not loose, the shower was not used for 4 days to let the grout cure. I have installed this system many times with no problems. Any advice

Lump
08-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Larry, the the grout you replace come out in chunks or dissolve out of the joints?

Donnie D.
09-30-2013, 07:30 PM
hey guys i think i am gonna use this grout on a kitchen im doin cause the customer is really worried about the grout staining..

----i need some install tips and techs!!!

Houston Remodeler
09-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Don,

1- Work in very small areas, maybe 2 feet by 2 feet.

2- dampen the area first

3- immediately after floating the joints start cleanup. There is no wait time

4- Sponge with a damp sponge, to lift the excess material

5- final cleaning is done with a high count microfiber towel

6- you can wrap the microfiber towel around your yellow hydro sponge to give it a large flat surface which will not dig into the joints.

7- no buffing needed, but if you have residue, a light vinegar wash the next day takes it right off

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
I wasn't aware that this thread had drifted over to this side. Sneaky little thing, huh?

jwmezzanotte
09-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Ok, that's it!
I'm busting open that gallon of fusion pro that's been sitting in my basement all summer and trying it out tomorrow!

Houston Remodeler
09-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Fusion Pro is my go-to grout now. Luckily a very large Houston til installation company uses it exclusively so my local DalTile carries every color.

Donnie D.
10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
thanx alot for the info houston remodeler..

so i can go in circler motions like always. then one swipe with each side of the sponge..then final clean up with a micro fiber?

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
10-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Donnie, yes. I use super light pressure on the sponge when washing- especially on the final swipe. If you don't get everything off, that's ok. I usually wait about 20 minutes (on walls) to use the cloth.

If you're doing a backsplash I would only spread about 2 linear feet and then wash. This is assuming you are working by yourself. :)

Todd Stull
10-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I did some testing with this grout at my house, tiled 2 entry ways which it seems to hold up ok.
Months ago I made up a bunch of grout biscuits and let them cure for a good 5 or 6 weeks. I had planned on doing some different stain testing with random stuff like purple pvc primer, oil and house hold items but before I got to that I placed one in my shower floor and its been there since April or May. My shower floor is pebble (so its probably 40% grout) and permacolor which has never stained or mildewed... the grout biscuit is stained and has mildew specs on it so I personally wouldn't use it in a shower. Seems fine for a floor or backsplash imo. After that, I didnt bother with other tests.

Donnie D.
10-01-2013, 08:44 PM
well i will use permacolor or fusion..

what you guys think?
its for a kitchen floor

MarkTarkus
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I just tried Fusion pro on a mudroom floor recently. Was a steep but quick learning curve having to clean so quickly but after that was relatively easy to apply and clean. Seems to be holding up great to the heavy traffic of new home construction. I'd use it again on a floor. Haven't done any stain testing with it though.

Donnie D.
10-03-2013, 06:20 PM
hopefully it works well for my kitchen floor im about to use it on

Donnie D.
10-04-2013, 04:13 PM
well i used it today on a porcelain 18x18 tile 3/16 joints..i dunno about this stuff..it skins over very fast and when you wipe off the excess i keep getting air bubbles..after i did the whole floor i had to go around and fix them..and i still missed some..and the grout doesnt have the smooth look to it..looks very rough..it was hard to keep the joints full

Donnie D.
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
i would spread the grout,about 2 tiles worth..

-then wipe the excess in the circular motion
-then one pass with one side of the sponge
-then one pass with a micro fiber sponge very lightly
- then one pass with a micro fiber cloth after the whole floor was done

i ended up having to regrout alot of areas and i still missed some

Donnie D.
10-06-2013, 01:36 PM
this grout to me seems like caulk in a bucket

jwmezzanotte
10-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Anyone gone back to see a job with this product after a while?
Curious what the durability is like especially on floors. Shrinkage? Does it wear down?
Could it be used in a commercial bathroom floor, or not durable enough?

I rarely have a callback on a job, but when I do it has to do with the grout everytime. There are things I can do to better control the mixing/application of the grout for sure, but id rather move to one of these new products and be done with grout issues

Donnie D.
10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
i floor i used it on was for a family member..so i will see alot of in the future..ill let everyone know how it holds up..

im sticking with permacolor like ive always have before i tried this grout

jwmezzanotte
10-14-2013, 10:31 PM
So I did my first grout job with fusion pro today.
Very impressed.

Was a learning curve, took a few to get used to it. Grout haze remover in the pail and using combination sponge and microfiber towel worked excellent. Very happy with the results, the grout lines stayed full and the mess was pretty easy to clean, even on some honed/filled travertine.

I made a sample a few days ago, impressed with that also. Its much harder than I expected, and looks much closer to cement grout than kerapoxy. In fact if nobody told me it was different I probably wouldnt notice.

Now I just have to find out where I can get it, without having to wait a month and pay $150.00 for 1 gal.
Gotta love living in the middle of nowhere.

Hank B.
10-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I've spilled red wine and had the puppy pee in the same spot repeatedly and it keeps cleaning right up.

jwmezzanotte
10-14-2013, 10:51 PM
I tried the spilled coffee thing on my sample. Wiped right up :clap1:

Marge
10-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Hank, put a puppy diaper on the Puppy Pee Meister! :)

Used Fusion Pro on last shower. Thumbs up

Hank B.
10-14-2013, 11:59 PM
lol. he's been done with that for about 2 months.

rocat1997
10-15-2013, 08:46 AM
What's the decision on wet areas? I seem to see many opinions on showers. Some say its the greatest, others say it started coming back out. We're close to grouting and want to make the right choice. We are DIY and like that fusion comes in a bucket and we can stop grouting at any point. Spectra lock requires all to be done at once. But, we want a product to last for many years.

Hank B.
10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
customs building products provides a great warrantee on fusion pro. Not sure what your warrantee will be because it will depend on the way( products) you used but call them. I've been using it for showers for almost a year and haven't had any issues yet.

Houston Remodeler
10-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Its been out go to grout for months now. Using it primarily on showers. Not a hint of a problem yet.

Ann
10-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I just tried out fusion pro on my kitchen backsplash. This was my first DIY tile work ever so I can't compare it to other types of grouts. It went on easy and cleaned up well. I have no complaints. I did a small hutch area that was around 2' x 2'. Tomorrow I plan to do the rest.

Photo was taken shortly after grouting and I will still do a final clean-up later.

Jwmezzanotte- I bought it through HD online. They shipped it directly to me at no charge for under $60 a bucket. Also bought the matching caulk for $12.00. The key is to search for the color and name. For some reason if I just searched for "fusion pro grout" only three colors came up.

John Bridge
10-16-2013, 11:34 AM
That's a good looking grout job, Ann. :)

Ann
10-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks John. Because of you and the fine people who share their knowledge here, I had the confidence to tackle this job myself.:tup2:

jwmezzanotte
11-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Went through half dozen pails of fusion pro recently. Half dozen more coming up. A bit of kerapoxy in the middle too just to remind me how much fun that is..

If you just make sure not to get ahead of yourself and spread too much, i find it actually easier than regular grout. Then add the time and material savings of not sealing it, ever. I dont really think it costs much more in the end.

Im sold. Switching to fusion pro on all my projects :)
Still working on availability in my area. Have it down to two wks order time as a max now. Not bad!

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
11-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Thoughts?

Home Depot stocks Fusion (http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/grout-materials/single-component-grout/fusion-pro.aspx).

cx
11-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Most interesting information, Jim. I'll need to check my local to see if it's widespread. If Boerne Home Depot (6556) has it, all Home Depots will have it. :)

lsnyc
11-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Have been reading through all the comments. For all who are using it [& loving it], would u use it on a 1x1 glass mosaic backsplash [gloss & matte tiles]?

thx!

Arizona Floors
11-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I have yet to see Fusion in any Home Depots in The Phoenix area.

cx
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Nope, no Fusion Pro in Homer's 6556, Boerne, Texas. :(

Steve Taylor
11-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Fusion Pro is scheduled to be stocked in all Home Depots. It will take a few months to get it palced in most of the stores.

Houston Remodeler
11-08-2013, 04:49 PM
You can order it on line and have it shipped to your local store or home or do a "store to store transfer"

Arizona Floors
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Or go to a local tile supplier that stocks it. ;)

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Fusion Pro is scheduled to be stocked in all Home Depots.
Can you make sure that the Boerne Home Depot is the very last one. ;) :D

josephlewis
11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
I've used the stuff a couple times. I like it, my only slightly negative observation is that for anything not small, I need to have a helper to keep up with it not drying.

cx
11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Hey! :mad:

He ain't gotta do diddly to make that happen, Jim. :)

Higher Standard Tile
11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't worry CX, you will get it before the HD in Maui does.

I asked them about bringing in some Pro-Lite. They said sure, for $56 a bag.:x:

And that is if I brought in a pallet of it.:sick:

jwmezzanotte
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Curious, for those who have used both (may be in this thread, but kinda long to go back and look)

How does the install of fusion pro compare to spectra lock?
I'm switching to laticrete products for my installs, would be nice to fully use one manufacturer, but at this point I'm quite heavily convinced that fusion pro is gonna be my go to grout

John Bridge
11-09-2013, 06:06 AM
John, I don't recommend that you confine yourself to only one product line. Not that Laticrete isn't great, but we should all be open minded, and there is at least a chance that a Custom product, for example, might fit the bill. ;)

jwmezzanotte
11-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks John

It would be pretty tough for someone to draw me away from fusion pro at this point. Very impressed with it!
Only issue is, still havent been able to find a reliable source for it. At least not without going through several hands and several corresponding markups :x:
Still worth it to me though.

I guess your right. I never have thought much good comes from brand loyalty. Its just that ive had to cobble things together for so long in my area that its kind of exciting to not have to :)

hts.alaska
11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Is this product going through some changes? Just purchased 4 pails of saddle brown and 2 were very differnt on color and bucket style. 2 had plastic handles and a tab on the lid, and a week later, 2 metal handles and cut to open lids? The first two were very "wet " and not close on color...this is not okay, customer service or claim response means nothing to me when dealing with a client....is this grout still working out the bugs, or is this guessing game the revolutionary part of the product? The wasted money is not nearly as bad as the embarrassment.

jwmezzanotte
11-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Don
I noticed a couple of the pails had different lids etc.
The colors were ok.. So far

Im going to use another half dozen pails in the next few weeks (same color, same project) Ill have to keep an eye on the colors.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
11-12-2013, 11:52 PM
They've had different buckets. There's two different buckets colors, two handles versions, and two different lid styles. I assume they will settle on one at some point.

I like the red/white/blue with the plastic handles and the lid with the tab. :)

TonE
11-13-2013, 06:19 AM
I prefer a good sanded grout on pebbles. The way it sets up nice and firm allows me to keep the the gorut as flush as possible.
How does Fusion Pro compare in this respect.

John Bridge
11-13-2013, 07:38 AM
There is a small learning curve, Tyler. I think, though, that after you've done it a little you can probably duplicate the buildup achieved with sanded grout. When CX and I previewed the product a year or so ago we did have trouble keeping it in the joints when grouting glass tiles. Fusion Pro has been worked on a little since then. :)

Houston Remodeler
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
If you scroll back a few pages you'll find a glass and stainless steel backsplash we installed with round tiles. The grout joints were one inch at some spots.

With decent timing, the fusion went in very easily, flush to the surface without the normal divots between the tiles. Use a normal hydro sponge with a microfiber towel wrapped around it.

nelsonkoehn
11-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks to Paul for selling me on Fusion grout. It's a winner! I can tell it's going to be my 'go-to' grout, also!

Had these over on the works in progress thread, but wanted to put them here, also. First time to use it, and i really like it.

Houston Remodeler
11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Nelson,

You can send the check to my home or make a direct deposit

:yo:

jwmezzanotte
11-20-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm ordering another dozen pails tomorrow for couple current projects :clap2:

Houston Remodeler
11-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Apparently Delorean Gray, our most used color, isn't well stocked at Daltile. Luckily it can set in my garage without going bad.

sancyk
11-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Using Fusion Pro for the first time and I must say it is a winner.

I've grouted twice before with regular grout and had colour consistency issues as well as effloresence. Ended up using a coloured sealer on my grout joints :complain:. I'm sure this was caused by my (lack of) technique and would have improved with more practice. Unfortunately, as a DIYer, I won't get to practice too much.

Anyways, Fusion Pro is about $60 here in HD Canada - about 3 times the cost of regular grout. I decided to give it a try in my shower surround to avoid the colour problems I had before but also to not have to seal on a regular basis.

It was worth the cost.

I dampened the tile, applied the Fusion Pro in small sections (whatever I could do in 3-4 minutes), removed the excess with a damp sponge, and then used a microfiber cloth around a firm piece of rubber to remove the haze. I used haze remover the next day to remove any haze i still had left.

Hardest part was opening the lid the first time.

For what it's worth, this is a sanded grout but the sand particles are very fine. Also, the lid has a rubber gasket to prevent the contents from drying out. I'm not sure what the opened shelf life is like but I hope it's long enough since I still have 2/3 of a pail left.