Tile Driveway [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile Driveway

AngelArs
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
What is the best type of tile to use for a driveway that is in a cold climate?

Sponsored Links

Davy
06-17-2012, 07:37 PM
My first choice would be Sunshine pavers. http://www.floridabrickandclay.com/s1.html

jwmezzanotte
06-17-2012, 08:28 PM
How about stamped concrete?
just a thought.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/photo-gallery/stamped-concrete_34/

Plenty of patterns out there. Quite a few that look like tile if thats what your going for.

AngelArs
06-17-2012, 09:04 PM
It's not just the look, I actually wanted to use real tile, just not sure which type was best.

Was told Porcelain is best for areas with snow but not sure.

I would like to learn how to do this and install it myself if at all possible.

cx
06-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Will, it'll help with questions like this if you'll add some geographic information to your User Profile so it's always there for folks to see when responding. :)

If you want real tile on that driveway, Porcelain would be my first choice.

But first you gotta have the proper driveway, eh?

You've considered snow removal, I presume? Or do y'all just leave yours 'till Momma Nature takes it away?

Or maybe you're planning a heating system to go with the tile?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Houston Remodeler
06-17-2012, 10:46 PM
A tiled driveway would be a joy to snow plow, even with snow chains and the scars they leave behind.

AngelArs
06-17-2012, 11:23 PM
If you want real tile on that driveway, Porcelain would be my first choice.
Thanks :tup1: Is it possible to 'seal' Porcelain? I know it absorbs little moisture but I'd like to make it absorb zero if possible. Really concerned about ice cracking over the years.

But first you gotta have the proper driveway, eh?
I'll be starting from scratch. Right now there is grass there. I want to add to our regular (straight) cement driveway and turn it into a horseshoe driveway. This second 'add-on' section is what will be made out of tile. The same tiles will be used to go to the front steps/door.

You've considered snow removal, I presume? Or do y'all just leave yours 'till Momma Nature takes it away? Or maybe you're planning a heating system to go with the tile?
The regular cement driveway is going to also be redone, probably next year. It will be heated. For right now the curved add-on section will only get the first 6 or 7 feet heated (the part connected to the regular driveway). I will use that 6 or 7 feet to turn the car around if needed. I'll see if I can draw something up to give you a better idea of what it should look like. The steps to the front door will also be heated but on a separate circuit.

Also, is there any reason why epoxy grout can't be used with this instead of regular grout? Right now I'm just trying to get all of my information in order before I start any work. The only part I don't plan to do myself is the cement apron. Everything else I'd like to learn about and do on my own. I'm not afraid of a little hard work :stupid2:

AngelArs
06-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Hopefully the drawing below will help to explain the way it will look.

Light blue area will be heated.

Tool Guy - Kg
06-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi Will,

Do you have a public sidewalk running across the front of this driveway? I ask because lots of cities have a problem with heated driveways.

:)

AngelArs
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi Bubba :)

Yes I do have a sidewalk in front of the house, BUT the heated part will stop around two feet before it because that part of the driveway (connected to the apron) is new concrete.

Why would some cities have a problem with a heated driveway? They always get rid of the snow and dry the pavement, thus making everything much better and safer for all involved.

AngelArs
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
On mine the sidewalk is a little higher than the driveway. Water runs away from the sidewalk and onto the driveway instead of vice versa. I also always keep the apron and that part of the driveway well salted, which brings up another question.... does salt play nice with Porcelain tile?

steve26
06-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Will,
I would use a Quarry tile and a Quarry tile only.
Sealing a porcelain tile outdoors in the cold, you got to be kidding me.
A failure will be in the make if...................

AngelArs
06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I would use a Quarry tile and a Quarry tile only.
Steve the problem with Quarry tile is that I would have to seal it regularly, plus the color palate is limited to basic Earth tones (was hoping for black and white tile).

The girl at loews told me that there are two different types of porcelain tile. That some are not "porcelain" all the way through.... any further information on that would help.

jwmezzanotte
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but I dont see this working out too well.

What is the reason for being so set on tile? You can get a very similar look with concrete. Pavers also look nice.
I know you want tile, I'm just not sure why given that there are likely more durability issues with it.

AngelArs
06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi John :) Basically concrete is out because of cost, plus it's really boring (even if it's stamped imitation tile look). I'd go with asphalt before I'd go with concrete. Pavers are being considered though. I've seen far too many pictures of tile driveways and I really like the look of it, however nothing has been decided just yet. Most likely an asphalt 'base' will need to be used anyway, just not sure how thick. Doing my homework now :cool:

AngelArs
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Wow! LOTS of great information Bob. THANK YOU so much! :clap2: I really appreciate it!

Really happy that I can use epoxy grout. Was really hoping for that :)

It does not have to be true black. What are the benefits of glazed porcelain, is it just the shiny appearance?

AngelArs
06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
A tile driveway will start with concrete, so it is cost plus
No not really. Several inches of concrete for the base will cost much less than an entire concrete driveway. I haven't received any estimates yet but obviously the more concrete you use, the more it will cost. Since I am doing all of the labor from above, the base the materials for tile VS. concrete is much less. When I get estimates for the concrete apron I will know more regarding cost.

jwmezzanotte
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
You will not be saving a dime by tiling your driveway
Definately agree.
If your set on tile so be it, but its not going to work out to be less money. Its easily twice the work, and probably that in materials as well.

prostuff1
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
I will echo what bbcamp said above.

I can see a tile driveway working in a place that has a warmer climate year round, but putting a tile driveway in a zone were freeze/thaw will be occurring is an exercise in futility if you ask me.

You are going to need just as much of a concert driveway as if you were not going to tile so saving money by only laying a "base" is not an option.

A stamped and/or stain washed concrete is the way to go in my opinion.

reefone
06-19-2012, 05:30 PM
i just want to see a car drive up this tiled drive way when its raining or full of melted snow. every outside deck ive done in poreclin is slippery as all heck when it gets wet.

i would have to believe that tiling the driveway would cost double what just a stamped concrete driveway would cost. fist you would need the driveway poured then a membrane of some sort and then tile.

AngelArs
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
That's why I'm here asking questions now, to get all of my information up front before I begin anything. I'm even considering using brick. All options are on the table :)

ceramictec
06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
i just want to see a car drive up this tiled drive way when its raining or full of melted snow. every outside deck ive done in poreclin is slippery as all heck when it gets wet.it would be a no brainer to use a tile like quarry, wire cut 1/2 tile pavers
or thick outdoor pavers like we do here in Florida.

not so bright to use a 12x12 porcelain tile. :stick: