Grout color for Emperador Dark Marble [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout color for Emperador Dark Marble

titan7
05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
We are getting ready to have our fireplace mantle and surround completed. Found 2 sizes of marble. 18x18 squares, one is 3/8" with mesh on the back the other is 5/8" with mesh. Any pros/cons to either?

Sponsored Links

ob1kanobee
05-30-2012, 11:21 AM
One may be too thick and the other may not be thick enough then again both may work depending on how you plan your project and how many if any modifications you'll may or not have to make to have one or the either work. From where I sit and what I know of your project it's hard to say.

As far as the mesh goes, it's difficult to get a bond to from my experience. I'd look into something like Grani-Rapid and burn the bejuses out of the backs with it.

As a rule of thumb, the thinner materials tend to pose less installation problems. Thicker materials are generally nicer to work with when you want something meaty and a larger polished edge profile without having to add additional material to create a profile to look beefy and bold.

Is that as clear as mud?

titan7
05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
The 5/8" material does not have a mesh back. So, no difference based on thickness?

ob1kanobee
05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm not a fan of material with mesh on the back personally. The rule of thumb far as I know is they put mesh on the backs of material which need it. I've seen plenty of 5/8 Emperador without it. I've also seen 3/8 with it. The 3/8 might be a little better quality. Without seeing it, it's anybodies guess. Examine the materials carefully from different light angles. Your looking for fissures (small cracks) and you want it to pop and not be cloudy. If it all looks the same then what thickness you need to work with and what you plan on doing with it (profiling ect.) determine that. Sometimes tapping on it with your knuckle will initiate a distinctive sound indicating fissures hard to see with the naked eye.

If the sound resonates and doesn't sound solid with certain pieces it could indicate a not so good batch of material.

titan7
06-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Is since this is more dark than light I assume a darker grout is better?

Any suggestions??? Install going in tomorrow.

Is C-Cure a good grout?

Davestone
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Color up to you,but i wouldn't go too dark.Ccure is fine.

titan7
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I thought the darker browns would blend more than the lighter colors as this is a pretty dark marble. We like the Walnut color of c-cure. I found a place that has a 10 lb box, anybody know where the date stamp is?? I don't know how long this and the matched caulk has sat on the shelf. I thought they have a 1-2 year shelf life?

cwilde72
06-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Laticrete's mocha is the perfect color for emperador dark IMO

titan7
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
So my fireplace went in on Friday, look pretty good, I wish the installer would have paid more attention to the marble. there are a couple pieces whith small surface voids in the viens (Emperdor Dark Marble). So have have 10 extra pieces that are perfect and a couple on the mantel that have a small void that's pretty shallow. They used the non-sanded color caulking in all the grout lines instead of the non-sanded grout. Can I used this for the small void or something else?

Also, general question, but there is a crack at one of the corners of a peice of marble, can really see it until you are 8" away, it's about 1/2" from the corner the crack goes from side of the peice to the top. They filled it with thecaulk.

I am being crazy for wondering why they just did not cut another peice of the 10 extra tiles I paid for on my own are sitting in my garage? Just trying to see if my expectations are out of line.