sub floor seam, tile overlap [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : sub floor seam, tile overlap

CNM DESIGN
06-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Putting down 18in tile, but in one spot it only overlaps the seam in sub floor by 2in.

Will this be a problem?

Thanks
Craig

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Craig,

We'll need a little more info to work with. What is the problem? What are the componants of the tile assembly?

CNM DESIGN
06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
1/4in Hardibaker over 5/8 ex plywood over 1x12 on a 45

cx
06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Craig, I'm a little confused here. If you've got Hardibacker installed, how can you tell your tile "only overlaps the seam in sub floor by 2in"?

Always a good idea to consult the manufacturer's installation instructions (http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/pdf/backer-install-us.pdf) for the materials you're using.

In the case of HardiBacker, I know of no restriction on having the ceramic tile joints over the HardiBacker joints, but I'd just naturally avoid it when I could. The manufacturer does tell you not to have the HardiBacker joints fall over the subflooring joints, though.

You put thinset mortar under the HardiBacker panels and filled and taped the joints, yes?

My opinion; worth price charged.

CNM DESIGN
06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry.

Just laying out the tile now. Tile overlaps HB seam by 2in. Included Hardibacker as sub floor. Yes there will be tape and I used real thin set under the HB. Should I tape first and let dry or can I tape as I go?

Houston Remodeler
06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Some find it easier to tape and let that set first as not to snag the tape when setting. But usually it depends on how the work schedule works out