Deck Membrane [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Deck Membrane

jmedgar
05-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Gents (& Ladies),

We're looking for a new membrane for decks. We use Nobel deck membrane now, but are looking at Kerdi as a substitute (1/2 the price). Checking the specs on each product, they seem virtually identical. Our thinking is that if Kerdi is waterproof enough for showers, it ought to work for decks.

Anyone know of any reason we should not use it?

Regards,

Sponsored Links

cx
05-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Checking the specs on each product, they seem virtually identical.You might wanna read those specs a little more closely, Jim. I wouldn't even call those products similar. Only thing they have in common that I can see is each is a sheet membrane.Anyone know of any reason we should not use it?Best one might be that the manufacturer of the Kerdi membrane does not recommend his product for that application or even any similar application.

Give us some particulars on your deck project and perhaps someone can suggest an alternative product.

Davy
05-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Jim, I've used Mercrete several times on decks and it works fine. It's a paint on membrane and it is cheaper to buy but it takes several coats and several hours between coats to dry so in the long run it might be just as expensive. If you change products, just make sure you change to something that is made for exposed decks and balconies. I've seen builders trying to save some money by using galvanized metal and also Ice and water shield and they usually rot out in a few years.

ceramictec
05-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Ditra is what you want to use from Schluter on the deck, not Kerdi.
Noble Deck is a fine product, why are you wanting to change?