Kitchen Backsplash ?s [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Backsplash ?s

codhod
05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone again, new questions.

Going to be installing backsplash in the kitchen the tile has been selected and purchased.....

1x2 travertine 12x12 sheets (see image)

Now what kind of backer is required? standard sheetrock walls. there will be no countertop backsplash just the tiles

Do I grout these tiles? the surface is not smooth and the tiles are all touching tight on all 4 sides of each 1x2 tile.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Cody

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Cody,

1- regular sheetrock is fine.

2- If I couldn't talk the home owner out of using these very hard to keep clean tiles, I would skip grouting them as it will make removal easier once the tiles get dirty and streaked with cooking grease behind the stove. Yes, you can tell Mrs Cody what I wrote. :gerg:

3- Don't forget to leave a gap at the counter, and all around the perimeter for caulking.

Davy
05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I've installed these tiles many times. Usually there are small joints, some butted and some 1/16 to 1/8. I would use a sanded grout, myself. Custom's Prolite is a non sag thinset that works well.

Lump
05-22-2012, 07:15 PM
If you are going to grout that split face stone seal it first, then keep the grout mix looser, sanded works best even though it's small joints,apply grout then use scrub brush and sponge. It should take just as long to grout as it took to set....use grout that matches stone.......don't forget the scrub brush step! Grouting this stone really makes it look nice I have it in my personal home and did an accent wall of 228 sq.ft A year ago with above method with same stone.

codhod
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Ok its actually finally time to install my backsplash (yes I’m still married, but only by a few threads so help me out!)

Can someone recommend a

Thinset, Grout and Sealer with Enhancer! for these travertine tiles,

I used Ultraflex 2 thinset, Laticrete Permacolor Grout Impregnator 511 Sealer on my floors and was very happy with the results as well as this can give you an idea of what is available in my area.

Also I’m reading prior posts and the recommended procedure is to Thinset, Tile, Seal/Enhance?, Grout (with brush!)?

Thanks Again
Hopefully I will not be a statistic before its all said and done!

Cody