Stones as a pond bottom [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Stones as a pond bottom

Saiminsam
05-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Hello.

I have a poorly designed concrete "pond" that is more like a 6-inch deep, flat bottomed reflecting pool, with about 30 s.f. of surface area. It is ugly just with the clear pond sealer, so i put large river rock on the bottom. The stones make weekly muckvac very hard. Some pond aficionados suggested a tiling/masonry fix.

I would really appreciate any tips and suggestions for the products that might work in this fully submerged environment. Mortar base, adhesive, filler, sealer?

The options would be

to permanently set the loose stones I already have. 2-3" in diameter, black and tiger striped, some more flat than others. This would probably look best.

Or lay a pebble tile, that is as large and natural looking as possible.

That way, we could really brush on and around the rock for a thorough cleaning, rather than remove, move and get under the rock, which has never gotten the thing clean.

In terms of toxicity, the hope would be to have at least some pond plants in submersible baskets, but fish probably need a little more depth than I have.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
you would have to pour a concrete shell first like a pool and then once that is dry you could install pebble tile or stones.

Saiminsam
05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your response, Brian.

The pond actually is a concrete shell, with brushed on clear waterproofing.

I sampled a couple of pebble/rock tile on mesh backing, yesterday, but would prefer to set my own stones (some of which are ones my kids collected!).

I was hoping for some advice on what products to use to set the stones; much of the advice given for pebble tile in this forum, naturally, involves showers, which have different conditions.

It would be great if there was some self settling product that I could push the stones into, and if necessary, maybe complete with a clear waterproofing over the "grout" lines.

My conditions would be

the stones are irregular so it is not likely I could "grout" in the classic sense.

the stones would be submerged all the time

there is no concern about walkability

there is some concern about toxicity to plants

it would be great to add a dark pigment, to resemble a pond bottom

Thanks everyone for at least looking at this thread, and for any thoughts.