join glass block to tiled plinth [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : join glass block to tiled plinth

jesseramsay
05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
hey guys i'm brand new on the forum {though i've read the posts from time to time} and i'm building a new bathroom w/ walk-in shower. one of the walls of the shower stall is going to be glass block and i'd appreciate some advice as to whether or not to mortar the block to the tile or to the framing and then tile up to the block.
my primary concern is water and i reckon either way i'd silcone the base of the blocks.

thanks in advance

ps i am doing a rod and mortar system for the block so if i mortar the block to the tile i'll have to drill through the tile to accomodate the vertical rods

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
05-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Jesse,

Welcome to the forum.

Got pics of what you are fixin to do? If there is a way to run a bead of silicone between the blocks and the tile, that would be ideal.

Richard Tunison
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi Jesse.

1. tile first

2. I believe you meant horizontal rods. Drill 1/4 in. holes where the rod will enter the wall. Bend the ends of the rods 90deg. Insert rod ends with the rod vertical and lay the rod down on your block. Inject copious amounts of pure silicone into each hole while moving the rod back and fourth until you can feel the 90deg. bend of the rod is making a good sticky bond to the back of your substrate. Imbed rod into the top of the blocks with mortar and install next row.

3. Almost all glass block mortars are waterproof..... not just water resistant
and are incredibly sticky. I see no need for caulking of any sort if you completely imbed your blocks in mortar as per the manufactures instructions and secure your rods properly.

We will hope to see some pictures!!!!

jesseramsay
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
hi guys thanks for the help, here's some pics. they're not that hot, i took them with my phone. anyhow i built the plinth and curb that you see and am was figuring on tiling the top of the plinth and bedding the block on top of that.
i am going to use both horizontal and vertical rods as one end of the glass wall will be freestanding (save for the plinth and ceiling).
now i've never used glass block but everything i've read seems to indicate mortaring to the the framing and i am concern about both the look and the work associated with buting the tile to the block. as you may be able to tell by the pics the plinth is curved and therefor i have to manicure my tile. and if i but it up to the block i have to do twice the cutting. also every break in the tile offers another opportunity for water to infiltrate.

thanks again

Houston Remodeler
05-19-2012, 12:30 PM
What Richard said.

I added the bead of silicone to cover the movement crack you'll eventually get between the differeing materials.

jesseramsay
05-19-2012, 03:57 PM
what do you guys think about leaving the unglazed end of tile exposed? i would, of course, ensure that it wasn't sharp but i'd like to know if its a done thing and if there is reason besides looks and it being sharp.

thanks again for all the help

Houston Remodeler
05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
You're asking a bunch of OCD, nit picky, professional tile craftsmen if an unfinished edge is OK? :shake:

Gary K
05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
:goodpost:

jesseramsay
05-19-2012, 11:52 PM
i imagine that being professionals and doing many jobs one would be asked to perform many installations to meet many different looks. as an nit-picky, ocd, craftsman, whether one agrees with the style or not i'd venture to say that the jobs were done to match the clients desire.
so, yes i am asking whether leaving an unfinished edge is a done thing and if not is it because it stands out? or because it is convention to trim the cut edge? or for any other reason i've missed?

thanks again

jesseramsay
05-19-2012, 11:56 PM
paul, sorry, that last post was a little more shirty then i intended but my queries remain none the less.

reefone
05-20-2012, 06:45 AM
its your house and you have too live with it so if it doesnt bother you then go ahead and leave an exposed edge. customers ask for all kinds of stuff that may not look so hot when finished. thats when i try to steer them to the to what will look the best when finished.

jondon
05-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Jesse, Jerry has made an important point. The customer is always right as for what he or she wants, they sign the checks but we do try to deter people away from something that will not look pleasing the the eye. Your project you can do it any way you like, will it be a finished edge of a tile showing even if not it will be unfinished you will see the unglazed edge. If you like that only you can answer that one. You could profile it if it is through body porcelain in other words color is through. That would be finishing it though.

They make so many finished ways that you should look into it. I would try to deter someone and show them how it looks with a profile or bullnose before I would allow them to not have something finish. We are tile finishers like anything else to use just looks unfinished. I wouldn't want to rip it out and do it twice either if the customer is not happy because they usually don't like to pay twice for something. Look at it visually to see what you like, our recommendation is going to be to finish it and not leave it exposed but your project do what appeals to you. If you want a professional opinion you got it, if you want to do it your way so be it. Only you have to be satisfied with your results, we don't.:dance:

We are here to steer you in the right direction, what direction you ultimately take is up to you.

jesseramsay
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
hey guys new question: i placed my deck mud to shape the shower and when i got back to looking at it today i noticed i'd left a divut. i was figuring on mixing a batch of regular old portland and sand and filling the divut. the divut is a little over an eighth of an inch down and about four in in diameter. i considered thinset but figured the set up time would be too long (why do to today what you can put off 'til tomorrow?) i could spring for a fancy sacking compound if you all reckon its best but i'd rather not.

cheers