large job on a budget and black cutback.. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : large job on a budget and black cutback..

big jilm
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi guys, I have a 5000 sq ft space with carpet over vct over black cutback.. The carper was layed with a green adhesive which is sticky but I can pull up the carpet.. Problem is the tile wants to come up with it.. My plan to tile over it is shot and now I'm forced to deal with the cutback..

I got an estimate from a few crews that were around $2.50 sq ft. for removal,sealing and leveling and install incuding material... I'm hopeing to cut that in half by removing this stuff myself.. The tile is coming up so should I just scrape this crap and save some bucks or eat it? Not to belittle the trade but if I can save some dough I'm all for busting out the labor.

I've read about the risks.. The place was built mid 80's.The tile is not hazardous but the cutback may be.. Whats the best course of action? Hot water and scrape this up? Just scrape it and go?
Whats a good price for this size job?? Thanks for the help and advice..

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Jim,

1- Where is this job located?
2- is this commercial or residential?
3- How many rooms?
4- What does the prep work include?
5- To what standard will the floor be flattened / leveled?
6- Does the $2.50 /sf include tile?

cx
03-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Welcome, Jim. :)

We're talking about installing ceramic tile here?

What substrate is under the cutback material you intend to remove?

big jilm
03-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for getting back quick..

Sorry about the lack of detail..
Job is in ga. It is one large room comercial space on concrete slab and the price includes removal of all material, seal the cutback with leveling compound and vct tile layed.. whole job for roughly $2.50 sq ft.
Its just alot more than I had planned for. I dont mind labor. I just didnt want to go into this thing blind and get taken for a ride ya know.. Thanks

cx
03-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, that explains a little. :)

Keep in mind, Jim, that we're a ceramic and stone tile advice site. While some of our resident pros do a bit of other floor coverings, you're likely to do better asking pricing questions on a flooring forum, eh?

big jilm
03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
:bang:
Sorry guys, I found the site through a search for black cutback removal.. Guess I could have read the forum title!!!! :complain:

Sorry for the trouble..