Tile Your World
Experts from around the world have gathered at the TYW Forums to give great free advice to DIY'ers on ceramic tile and stone installation.
Tile Your World Book by John Bridge
John Bridge's new book, Tile Your World, is available at the TYW online store. Get your autographed copy now!

View Full Version : Chicago Electric 10" tile saw from Harbor Freight

You are viewing a text version of the John Bridge / Tile Your World Advice Forum. You are more than welcome to use these pages, but your experience will be more satisfying if you use the real Tile Advice Forum. There you can ask experts from around the world any question related to tile and stone installation, or any other construction related question, free of charge! Our purpose is to provide the very best Tile and Stone Installation and Maintenance advice on the internet. We love to help "Do it yourselfers" through projects from start to finish.

dustin999 - Sat Dec 27 00:48:08 2003
Just wanted to let you all know, I bought the Chicago Electric 10" 2.5 HP (rated in saw power) tile saw for $150 from Harbor Freight. I've layed approximately 500 sft of tile so far, and the saw has worked beautifully. I don't have any experience with other saws like Felker and so forth. I'm sure a $400 Felker has more bells and whistles, and may hold up longer than my saw. But I haven't had any problems at all, so I'd strongly recommend the saw to anyone looking to do some remodeling around the house. I'm glad I went with my gut instinct and bought the saw, it seems like most everyone here is very pro-Felker and was concerned about trying anything else. I'm sure for the professionals buying a $150 10" tile saw and expecting it to work for thousands of sft of tile is maybe far-fetched, I dunno. But this saw is much more than I expected, and for the price, I'm extremely happy. Sure, this is my first tile job, but I've done quite a bit of woodworking, so I know some of the gotchas when looking at saws. I don't think they cut many corners with this saw from what I've seen so far. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask them. I don't have any connection to Harbor Freight or Chicago Electric, just simply sharing my experience with others since many here were skeptical about the saw. And no, it doesn't flip the breaker (like someone suggested when they saw it had a 2.5 hp motor). :) Good luck! -Dustin

dustin999 - Sat Dec 27 00:53:02 2003
Also, to follow up, I bought a 10 amp drill from Harbor Freight to stir thinset/grout/SLC and for $30, I couldn't be happier. For the DYI'er who doesn't want to spend $500+ on power tools, I can personally vouch for the tile saw and corded drill from Harbor Freight. I nearly burned out my black and decker and a 6 amp dewalt I bought from Home Depot for $50. Then I went to Harbor Freight and got the 10 amp chicago electric for $30. This saw has no fancy features, for instance the variable speed is controlled with a knob instead of a sensor in the trigger. The chuck is keyed, as opposed to the keyless chucks you see now. Sure, these are things that you wouldn't expect in a high quality drill, but for $30 and for limited use, this can't be beat. Once again, just wanted to share my experience with Harbor Freight. I was on a tight budget and in this case, cutting corners on tools worked well for me. My advice is to just keep it in perspective, and if you're a DIY'er like me with a few projects around the house, this is really all you need.

cx - Sat Dec 27 01:19:37 2003
Thanks, Dustin, we welcome all useful information hereabouts. :) It's sometimes difficult for those of us who use such tools to make our living to look at a tool purchase from the prospective of a DIYer who may rarely, or never make good use of the equipment once the current project is finished. I say if you found a 10" wet saw for $150 and it did the job you bought it for, good on you. Still a whole lot better than tossing away your money on rentals. I think you did well. The drill, too. Hell, for $30 a fella can afford to buy another for each project if they don't last long. You can buy nine or ten of'em for the price of my larger drill. The speed control wouldn't be much to my liking, but on larger drills I don't want a chuck without a key, preferably a Jacobs. It's a different perspective. I've never bought a tool from Harbor Freight, don't know a thing about them, and won't likely ever find out. But if it worked for you and the price was right, we appreciate you passing along the info. Chances are there are some other of our "customers" out there who will make good use of it. You'll likely still hear us hyping Felkers, though. :)

dustin999 - Sat Dec 27 01:25:57 2003
Cx, Thanks for the response! Just FYI, I know a guy who does residential work as a carpenter, doing everything from woodworking to tile to whatever. I've spoken with him many times about tools, and he's told me basically that it depends on the tool. Harbor Freight can be great for some things, and crappy for others. So while my experience has been good thus far with Harbor Freight, I'll still continue to shop there with a little bit of skepticism. I'd be curious to know how this saw holds up though over time. I've been very impressed. I still have about 400 sft left to go with my job, so if it breaks down between now and then I'll be sure to let everyone know. For the DIY'er looking for a cheap saw, I say go for it, buy the saw the day before you start your project. If it breaks, it always has a return policy, so it's worth the risk in my opinion.

TRS Ry-Dog - Sat Dec 27 03:25:54 2003
Dustin and everyone, Harbor Frieght is a wonderfull place that sells decent tools at the lowest price around. One other thing thats nice is for an extra $10 bucks or so you can get a 3 year warranty. I have yet to use the warranty I got on my roto-hammer I got their for 59 bucks that's equivelent in power and function to a $600 makita. Now I did consider buying their 10" saw, but for me I need the capacity to cut larger tiles then it can handle so I'll be getting a felker in a few weeks :) which I'm getting really excited about. On another note they allways seem to have 4" and 4.5" diamond blades on sale for around $5 each or a pack of 3 for $9, now these are by no means top of the line, but hey for doing masonry work the price can't be beat. Also its the best place to buy latex gloves I like their heavy duty blue latex ambidextrious gloves. Ryan

John Bridge - Sat Dec 27 08:37:22 2003
I'd like to add to what CX said. We do sometimes get carried away and forget that people are not going to enter the tile business on a full-time basis. And cheap tools have their place. I have a sawzall type tool from Harbor Freight that has been working for several years. I don't use it often and it's fine. I've worn out other off-brand tools that have done the job for me, so I agree with you completely. On the other hand, a quality tool can usually be resold at a good price. So it's not as though we're trying to sell folks things they don't need and that will cause them needless expense. And then there are the tool nuts like CX (he has holsters for five cordless drills in his tool belt). A guy like that can't afford to be seen with off-brand equipment. :D A lot of people just like the feel of a very high-quality tool. Our chief concern here is to help you get the job done in a pleasing and workmanlike manner. The choice of tools is up to you. So how's the project coming along, and are you going to post pictures? ;)

Jason_Butler - Sat Dec 27 09:00:09 2003
Let's don't forget the "abuse" factor either. I see brick masons and tile guys treat the tools like crap and yet the name brand items keep tickin'. Some of the things the dry cut Target brick saws go through amaze me. I, on the other hand, make a point to clean off my saw after each use. The table is always secured so it doesn't beat up the blade and I keep the slide greased. With good maintenance, even a low end tool will last a long time. Target, Felker, etc know that contractors will push the limits of their saws. They can't prevent that. They must add a "factor of safety" in their design to compensate for this abuse. As a result, we all pay for it ! Also, most of the people using the tools in my area didn't pay for 'em. The boss man buys the tools ; the grunts do the work. If you're not the one shellin' out 1500 bucks for a saw, where's the incentive to take care of it. jason

flatfloor - Sat Dec 27 13:44:51 2003
I looked and looked all over that Harbor site and no place in there could I find the reindeer antler Awls I need or the Walrus tusk hide scrapers. :p

dustin999 - Sat Dec 27 15:48:26 2003
I'll try to post some pics soon, or maybe get my wife to.. We still need to grout, so it'll be a few days probably. As I was thinking about the pros and cons of this Chicago Electric table saw, one thing I would add is that the saw doesn't include any gadgets like a miter gauge or a fancy rip fence. I'm not even sure if those are normal on tile saws (they are of course on table saws). So I've had to create my own jigs, like for cutting 45 degree angles in the tiles for instance. Nothing on the saw is plastic, so that's always a good thing (well, except for the tub).

peterd - Sat Dec 27 18:41:30 2003
Now that it was mentioned what sort of drill do I want to get in order to mix thinset for my up coming tile project. It there a minimum/maximum RPM needed, chuck size, etc ... ? Thanks Peter D Dustin, do you know what the model number is of your drill?

John Bridge - Sat Dec 27 19:59:51 2003
Peter, Get a half inch drill -- high torque/low rpm. That's about it. ;) Did you get your book yet? Flatfloor got his way out on Lon Gisland. ;)

Davy - Sat Dec 27 21:27:34 2003
I've bought several tools in the past from Harbor Freight. A new 5 inch Hitachi grinder for 49 bucks, other places had the same grinder for 169 bucks. I have seen some junky tools there that I wouldn't have but most are probably okay. My Dad had a Chicago Electric 10 inch tile saw from HF. The bar that the table slides on needed to be replaced after a couple years even though he oiled it everyday before using it. Seemed like he paid about 400 bucks for it. Someone stoled it a while back so it's not his problem anymore. For a DIY'er these tools are fine but some just won't hold up under everyday use, year after year.

peterd - Sun Dec 28 09:13:41 2003
Haven't seen hide nor hair of the book as of yet. Maybe tomorrow. I am having it deliverd to my work address since my wife and I currently live in an apartment. UPS/FedEx always try to deliver packages when we are not here. -Peter D

John Bridge - Sun Dec 28 13:34:26 2003
The books are carried by the US Postal folks. They deliver everywhere. ;)

dustin999 - Sun Dec 28 16:38:21 2003
Peter, I actually bought this saw: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46225 The closest thing to an item # I see is: ITEM 46225-2VGA Notice the regular price is $389, which may be what Davy was referring to. It's marked down to $199 now, without the stand (I didn't need the stand, instead I'm using a couple of sawhorses). When the guy at HF scanned the saw, it actually came up for $149. This was at the store, since we have a local HF here. He even remarked that he thought it was $199, but sold it for the $149 anyway. You might have the same luck if you go to a local store, I dunno.. If you're looking for a drill, definitely consider HF if you're a DIY'er like me and not in need of a quality corded drill. The 6 amp Dewalt and the Black and Decker (both 3/8" drills) smelled like smoke the first time I tried to use them, but the HF 10 amp drill works like a champ so far. I'll probably never use it again after this project, since the workhorse of my workshop is my 18V cordless drill. I could see where a quality corded drill might come in handy though, so maybe in my next life I'll consider something better. In fact, here's the link to the drill I bought: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47991 Good luck with your project!

Davy - Sun Dec 28 17:09:53 2003
Dustin, that saw looks alittle different than my Dad's, It's probably better. His was blue and the slide bar was round, about 1 inch in diameter. Also had a metal pan. You got it for a good price for sure.;)

peterd - Mon Dec 29 08:08:31 2003
Dustin, Thanks for the reply. I am still going to buy the Felker FTS-150 for my tile saw. But I will be stopping by HF and picking up the 1/2" drill. Just don't need to spend big $$$ on a drill right now. Thanks for your help. Tile on! -Peter D

genel - Mon Dec 29 12:00:30 2003
I have bought tools at Harbor Freight. Some have been great, some have been trash. If I could tell which is which I would shop there more. Their air tools seem pretty good for medium duty, things you don't use real often. The first power plane I had was from there and was a complete waste of money. On the other hand, I bought an electric hoist for $70 and I have used it to haul all of the rock for my house up to the scaffolding. If that sucker quits working, I will just go buy another one.

gearup - Mon Jan 19 21:18:57 2004
I looked long and hard for a saw that will handle 12" tiles on the diagonal for a reasonable price. I ended up with the 10" saw from Harbor Freight. I think it will work out great for what I need. I have had pretty good luck with HF in the past. They are not for professional use but will last a homeowner for a very long time in most cases. Northern Handyman is another great place for reasonable prices. Best place anywhere if you need small engines, generators. or go-cart parts.

tileguytodd - Mon Jan 19 22:50:34 2004
Well, you can buy one now or you can buy one later.Eventually if you do enough tile you'll figure it out. If you dont own a Felker yet,you will eventually after replacing the cheap saws,not getting straight cuts etc etc and the list goes on.I really do try to steer ya'll in the right direction.I guess i failed in this case :)

cx - Mon Jan 19 23:41:09 2004
So, Todd, what are you suggesting? We should maybe take these guys out and shoot'em? :eek: Or, worse yet, make'em move to northern Minnesota? :D

tileguytodd - Tue Jan 20 07:43:38 2004
Hmmm which one is more Humane. A quick death by gunshot or a Slowwwwww death by freezing :D :D :D

Mudd - Tue Jan 20 13:41:05 2004
I have the same 10" HF wet saw, but haven't used it enough to formulate an opinion on longevity. I have been pretty impressed with the quality of cut using a cheap HF $20 diamond blade. I have been cutting 12" granite tiles diagonally and the tray tracks true along the 17" length of the cut. Before this, I was cutting porcelain floor tile w. the same blade. There are a couple of negatives: the motor warranty is only 90 days. After my first job of about 50 ft^2, the tray sticks a little while sliding - maybe I need to lube something? The water-cooling ports on the blade guard seem a little far back from the cutting edge. The sliding tray needs a "zero clearance" insert - I am getting some blowout on the very trailing edge of the cut because the tile isn't completely supported underneath (the tray has about a 1/2" wide gap for the saw blade). The saw didn't include a 45 degree fixture - I made a simple one out of plywood. Convenience and the ability to cut 12" tiles diagonally were the key reasons I bought this saw and as a DIYer, I'm pretty happy. I can cut tile day or night and the only problem is the noise for my neighbors :D -Mark

TJoeC - Thu Mar 9 23:57:59 2006
Reviving this thread for two reasons: 1. I bought this saw. The $199 price seems pretty permanent (I got even cheaper though... sales lady put in a discountr so she could sell the 2 year warranty), and it now has the mitre and fence. It is a beast.... as heavy as the Target rental saw I did my driveway with. Seems to cut nicely. The pump is the exact same funny little Chinese pump that came with my wife's garden fountain (now frozen in the bottom of the fountain I'd guess... the new one may be doing double duty soon!). Squirts lots of water on the blade, but I will keep it in fresh water fer sure. One other downside... I easily stripped a small screw while aligning the saw... but better to strip the screw than strip the steel frame! I'll update about this thing but I saw nothing even close to the price/power ratio. 2. TileGuyTodd is no doubt watching his Grand Rapids boys come from behind in the world's greatest high school hockey tournament, so we won't hear about Felker! 6-4 with 1 minute left! Oops 7-4 with the empty net!

PA_DIY - Tue Mar 14 08:51:48 2006
wish I had this coupon when I bought mine..

Oldrem - Tue Mar 14 11:05:35 2006
I picked one up on sunday. Got the 20% off and purchased the 2 year full replacement warranty for $34.95. Figured that way I was well covered (usually never buy extended warranties, but this one seemed worthwhile). Looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

DonB - Tue Mar 21 17:19:02 2006
FWIW, I just got a thing in the mail that says HF has a bridge saw that cuts 24" tiles on sale for $200 until April 12. I'm gonna go get me some of them there stain grade Adirondack chairs they have on sale for $25 each :) Don

Davestone - Tue Mar 21 19:49:32 2006
I'm still using an angle grinder i bought there a couple years ago..others failed within a year..the mixing drills make it about a year..i keep one as a back up in case my good one goes.Funny story..i was in a flea market in Belleview..saw some angle grinders for about ten bucks..figgered they were like Northern, or HF,bought all he had!!!..took them home..tried them..they got so hot using them you couldn't hold them..threw them away.I never figure out why,but they were literally too hot to touch.

polacek - Wed Mar 22 01:38:45 2006
I just bought the http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92386 I have not opened it yet but I will let all y'all know. I am in need of cutting 24"x24" limestone, so I had no other option. I have a similar saw like this, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3733 but made by plasplugs. Motor has always shounded like crap, but it worked. I have cut probably 400sqft of granite and countless shower surrounds. I am not a professional, just as a side job. I hope to replace that junker with this new bridge saw. I have got a ceramic job coiming up soon, so I will add to this post with the results. PS. I got the saw for $199 plus a 20% coupon found in the local paper (Denver, CO) and on top of that $40 in goft cards from their credit card. $120 tile saw, can't beat that!

DonB - Wed Mar 22 02:12:08 2006
PS. I got the saw for $199 plus a 20% coupon found in the local paper (Denver, CO) and on top of that $40 in goft cards from their credit card. $120 tile saw, can't beat that! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good job! I love that place. I just sanded my new red oak cabinets with my old $8.00 HF electric sander. I assembled the cabinets yesterday with my $14.00 HF brad nailer/crown stapler. Funny thing is, I bought those tools hoping they'd last through one project but they just keep working great. Same as with all the other cheap chinese junk I've been buying from them for about 10 years. I won't mind buying a tile saw from them if the old 7" saw I got for free outta the trash ever quits on me. Don

oldhouse - Wed Mar 22 10:45:00 2006
I have wondered for a while what the pro's and cons of bridge vs. table style tile saws are. So, now I'll ask... What are the differences, pro, cons, and preffered, etc. Thanks for humoring me, Quinn DIYer until I hit the Powerball! :king:

polacek - Thu Mar 23 13:26:40 2006
The main reason I got the bridge saw was because it can do larger tiles. This table will take a 24"x24" tile. I will post my findings for you when I use it.

PA_DIY - Thu Mar 23 16:12:14 2006
Hello PA_DIY, I've deleted the advertisement you posted here. I understand that you may have already been asked by another moderator to cease posting such things here in this forum. It's not that we are against bargains. We just want to protect this forum from becoming a cesspool for self-promotion and spammers and so we are perhaps overly critical of advertisements posted in the form of a reply. If you have any questions, you are welcome to write to me through E-mail or through private message and I'll be happy to reply. Thanks, Shaughnn

PA_DIY - Mon Mar 27 16:36:37 2006
no problem... my bad. I didn't realize it was a no-no...

Matthias - Mon Apr 3 19:45:10 2006
So I bought the 10" saw on Saturday. So far I've been able to work with a borrowed Felker Tile Master (thanks, Reini!), but I had to return it to my friend who needs it himself. The Chicago Electric saw is just as massive, and maybe even a bit sturdier than the Tile Master. Whether it will last as long as the Tile Master is a completely different question. First impression: the cuts are straight, no problem there. My only complaint is that the pump that comes with it is really flimsy. It hardly pumps enough water, and the hose connection easily falls off. The blade got red hot a few times. Not good. I will definitely buy a bigger pump!

Oldrem - Mon Apr 3 22:14:44 2006
Been using mine about 3 weeks now Matthias. Pumps plenty of water. You may have gotten a bad pump. My hose has never come off either. I would request a replacement pump from Harbor.

TJoeC - Tue Apr 4 11:07:30 2006
About a month here. Pumps plenty. I do heed the advice given here about these cheap pumps and put it in a big bucket of fresh water to keep the stone particles out of the pump. It's a bit of a pain, but I have two teenage slaves to tote water. I can see why a pro would just spring for a spare pump. Also awful nice to be able to put hot water in the bucket last week when it was 38 degrees while I was cutting in the garage. Otherwise the fingers get too cold. Only downside I noticed so far is the small hex screw used in adjusting the rail stripped and needed replacing. Soft screw. But I'd rather replace that than have the screw strip the steel on the base! Also the rubber water flap in the back gets in the way on long diagonal cuts and I just took it off.

scorleo - Sat Apr 15 01:22:00 2006
I just bought the http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=92386 I have not opened it yet but I will let all y'all know. I am in need of cutting 24"x24" limestone, so I had no other option. Do you know if it will cut granite tiles? I need a saw that will cut 1x2 ft tiles. The page does not indicate that it will work on granite, only marble and bricks. Thanks, Feroz

Davy - Sat Apr 15 01:54:45 2006
If it will cut marble, it'll cut granite, just might need to get a granite blade. :tup2:

TJoeC - Sat Apr 15 03:26:38 2006
I've cut miles of granite with no visible wear on my $30 continuous rim diamond Home Depot blade. This saw is a beast. Get the 20% coupon before you go get it though.... Harbor Freight coupon

scorleo - Sat Apr 15 11:13:04 2006
I was thinking to rent the tile saw from Capitol or Sunbelt, with the coupon the cost of renting will be equivalent to cost of purchasing the Chicago Electric. In addition, I won't be loosing time for running to the rental store and over and above I won't be on the rental clock, and I can use it when it is convenient to me. Good find :clap1: Joe. Now I need to figure to get the right blade :scratch: to cut my 10 mm granite tiles, this job is between 600 and 650 sq ft. Thanks

Davy - Sat Apr 15 11:21:24 2006
Yep, some granite is softer than others, a marble or tile blade won't last long on some hard stuff. Sometimes the granite blades won't last as long as you'd think. :)

sandbagger - Tue Apr 18 16:35:22 2006
if you buy from HF, don't leave it in the box when you get home, waiting for the day you'll need it. Immediately give whatever you bought a test run. I don't care what it is - test it. Right now I've got a stud finder that thinks the entire wall is a stud, and a tire inflator/gauge that can't read the same twice in a row. But by the time I tried to use them it was too late to return. I was luckier with the variable-speed drill that wouldn't vary. Buying from HF can be fun and useful, but it ai'n't Sears or HD. :shades:

pmcall57 - Sat Apr 22 01:22:05 2006
So I'm in the market for a saw like the one under discussion. Doing porcelain in my kitchen and bathrooms -- some 18", some diagonals. I'm a DIY, not a pro, but I really like good tools. If I bought a Felker rail saw (about $500), could I realistically expect to resell it in a year or so -- for maybe half what I paid for it? Making the cost of ownership in the same ballpark as the HF, which I'd expect to have much lower resale value? Make sense or no? Thanks. Pam

DonB - Sat Apr 22 07:43:50 2006
Hi Pam, If that's what you want, that's what you should buy. I wouldn't count on it being a good business decision unless you're willing to wait a long time for a buyer and go through the expense and trouble of packing and shipping it. Check your local pawn shops to get a better idea of the market in your area. Down here, tile saws of all sorts go to the pawn shops where they're available for pennies on the dollar and I'm in a weathy, resort-y type of area with huge amounts of new construction as well as a lot of hurricane reconstruction. There's an obviously poor to non-existant market for resale of tile saws around here. Personally, I wouldn't give you even a fraction of half price for a used saw. Don

PA_DIY - Sat Apr 22 08:25:30 2006
So I'm in the market for a saw like the one under discussion. Doing porcelain in my kitchen and bathrooms-- some 18", some diagonals. I'm a DIY, not a pro, but I really like good tools. If I bought a Felker rail saw (about $500), could I realistically expect to resell it in a year or so -- for maybe half what I paid for it? Making the cost of ownership in the same ballpark as the HF, which I'd expect to have much lower resale value? Make sense or no? Thanks. This is a common question... which I had myself not too long ago. I went the cheaper HF route and thought it was certainly worth the price/value factor. I don't think a high priced brand name would have done any better for me. They would most likely last longer.. but I don't see how it would have performed $3-500 better. Maybe I just didn't push it hard enough... I can't tell ya. I can say that for $199-20% (coupon avail almost weekly), it is a great deal in my opinion. I didn't know about the coupons when I bought mine. I could easily sell this for $100 in the ads where I work if I wanted to making my overall cost very low. My co-worker has been doing pavers with one.. and hasn't had any problems either. If you are worried about it dying on you.. their 1yr warranty plan isn't too expensive either. If you were in the tiling business, then I would have more reservations.. but for a one time project, I think it is the way to go. The one complaint I do have... is when I tighten the side fence, it seems to kick out a bit. This is most likely because the pilot hole for the screw may be off a little bit. I don't know if it kicks 'into' square or 'out-of' square just yet (don't have a perfect tool to test it). I think this is something I can fix pretty easily myself.. but it wasn't severe enough for me to worry about. I just made sure it was tight against the back fence. When I do my next project, I will look into it more.

pmcall57 - Sat Apr 22 12:23:43 2006
Thanks for the good advice. Sounds like the HF is the way to go. My only remaining concern is its weight. Shipping weight (per their web site) is 159 pounds. Is the saw itself really that heavy? If so, how does one move it around? (I can lift 70 pounds, but that's about it.) Thanks again. I really appreciate your taking time to help me decide on this. Pam

Tileworks - Sat Apr 22 12:45:39 2006
Perhaps I'm running my mouth where I shouldn't be, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here concerning the Harbor Frieght Wet Saw. From a professional point of view, I would steer clear of the Harbor Frieght saw. I went through 4 of them in less than one year. The belts would wear out quickly and there wasn't much to do in the way of tightening them. The pumps would stop pumping after not to long. Also, eventually this saw got so LOUD that you needed ear plugs to run the thing for fear of bleeding from your ears. With the warranty at the time, however, all we had to do was keep returning it for a new one. Remember, this is from a professionals point of view where the saw was used and abused constantly. Now, for the home owner, DIYer, I think it would be a great buy. You could tile your entire house using this saw and then some before it bit the dust for you. I was not impressed with the Harbor Frieght tile blades though, so after buying your saw from Harbor Frieght, go to a big box store for your blade. - Bob

PA_DIY - Sat Apr 22 13:54:35 2006
Thanks for the good advice. Sounds like the HF is the way to go. My only remaining concern is its weight. Shipping weight (per their web site) is 159 pounds. Is the saw itself really that heavy? If so, how does one move it around? (I can lift 70 pounds, but that's about it.) Thanks again. I really appreciate your taking time to help me decide on this. If that is the weight it says... then I have no reason to argue. They put it in my truck and I used a dolly to wheel it around back. It isn't small by any means.. but neither is a brand name rail saw. After you put it together, it has wheels to move around my basement and outside. It is easy to move for me.. but I certainly wouldn't want to lug it around or upstairs etc. If I had to, I could have opened the box in my truck and carry it down in manageable pieces. Now if you don't have a HF near you... that changes things a bit. I don't believe the coupon can be used online.. and you have to pay for shipping (I have no idea how much that costs). You may save a little on tax though. In any event, it would not be as much of a deal as buying in the store. It would also be expensive if you had problems and needed to return it. I do not dispute Tileworks findings.. and in fact I enjoy hearing how it would/wouldn't hold up to abuse. As I said, for my two small projects, I am satisfied with my choice.

pmcall57 - Sat Apr 22 14:06:37 2006
I'll stop by HF next time I'm around there and take a look -- hope they have one on display so I can see what I'm getting myself into. (The Felker is 65 pounds, but doesn't have wheels, I think.) Appreciate the advice. Pam

Matthias - Wed May 3 13:21:24 2006
Two quick notes. So far the saw has held up nicely. Used it to complete my bathroom project, and for a backsplash and another small job in a friend's house. Below is a pic of the bathroom project. I even cut the 24" x 24" slate on the vanity top with the saw. Sure, I had to improvise a bit, but it worked fine. Someone complained about noise. The saw itself when not cutting is not noisy, certainly not noisier than the Felker I used before. When you cut, it depends a lot on the material you cut. My porcelain tiles were very hard and loud, but again, not different from the Felker. Regarding weight: it is heavy, for sure. The heaviest part is the motor, not surprisingly. You can take it off the frame for easier transportation.

Oldrem - Wed May 3 13:39:21 2006
Mine also worked flawlessly through my entire project. Gave me straight cuts every time and was so easy to cut my diags on the 12x12 floor tiles. All I did each time I finished with it was hose it off thoroughly, remove and clean the tray, oil the rollers and cover it. I did have to sharpen the blade once with a paving brick.

TJoeC - Wed May 3 15:52:02 2006
Nice looking bathroom! Wait, does that shower have a sliding door? To what, it's own deck? :confused:

Matthias - Wed May 3 18:12:19 2006
It has two big windows looking into the (private) back yard :-) More info on my other thread: http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30861

Trevor T - Thu Aug 3 17:10:13 2006
I just found this forum today and must say it looks great. I am sure I will be doing a lot more lurking around here. Anyway this is the post that I discovered while doing a little research on the Chicago Electric saws. I have seen a lot of talk about the 10" $199 unit. I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts about the 14" Magnesium brick saw? For some reason it appears I can not post the URL but it is itemnumber=93275 I have a few small jobs around the house I would like to do. Thanks for the great forum :clap2: and thanks in advance for the advice. P.S. I am on board with buying top quality tools, but I am of the belief of buying the appropriate tool. Like has been said here many times, sometimes you can get by with a "lesser" tool for the DIYer who will only use it a couple of times.

igneous - Fri Aug 4 08:40:03 2006
I've bought 3 of the Chircago Electric mixing drills. I burned one up after 2 years of use and bought another 2 a few months ago since we were running 2 crews at the time. Very hard to beat that drill for the price. As for the saw, once again I bought one two years ago. If you keep the bar lubricated it should work just fine. It's accurate enough for most cuts and for the price....I'd rather have it than comparable MKs (price). Good solid motor, belt driven (at least mine was) and capable of cutting 16" on diagonal. But I have a DeWalt now. I've used Felkers, Targets and this saw and for the price and features that it offers I'm not sure I could have beaten it. Obviously doesn't have the track record of the Felkers but perhaps over time. Brad

tileguytodd - Fri Aug 4 10:13:55 2006
But I have a DeWalt now. I've used Felkers, Targets and this saw and for the price and features that it offers I'm not sure I could have beaten it. Obviously doesn't have the track record of the Felkers but perhaps over time. Brad Brad, The dewalts that are being used as production saws by professional Tile Installers are already showing problems. They are not designed for the day in day out heavy usage a tile pro requires of his mainline saw. Do not misunderstand me, The Dewalt saw is a well designed and well engineered piece of equipment for What it was designed for. That is this - It was designed for the general contractor/remodeling contractor who does some tile work. It was never intended to be a front line saw for a pro tile mechanic. Many are using it as such because of some of the features it has but it WILL NOT hold up like a Felker or Target Production saw. It will not hold up to an MK101 ( yes i used the M word god help me ) ;) I am not saying Brad, dont use this saw. I am saying Brad, this saw will not be as cost effective in the end as a saw designed for production by a Pro.............That may not matter to you or many that like the features. It may be that you will not mind buying 3 or 4 saws for every 1 PRO production saw. Many have made up thier minds that it is worth it in the end due to its light weight and water control features. My suggestion to you and others is still what it has been since the day Dewalt sent me a saw to review ( and gave me to keep) It is a great saw and deserves a place in your arsenal.............but, it should be used as one of several choices to remain a cost effective option. A Pro Tile setters best situation would be to own #1 - A production saw #2 - A lightweight for wall tile & repair work #3 - A specialty saw wether this is a dewalt or a Rail saw depending on your current market conditions. Using the Dewalt in conjunction with several other options will get you the best life and Use from the equipment. Use it where it is needed to control water or for those special layout diagonal installs with large format tile. Use your production saw for that 1200 ft basement or 2000 ft convenience store. Does this make sense to you?? You can do a search under my user name and find my initial review of the Dewalt saw from about 2 years ago. You will see that I have been consistent in my assessment of the saw. If you further research it here you will find that problems are beginning to show up with saws that are in that 1-2 year old age and these are being used as Primary saws. I believe soon you will find many used Dewalts on the Market that are wearing out. It is very possible these Pro's are buying new dewalts to replace them...............its simply not a very cost effective method in the end. 3 saws will be far more cost effective and in truth, far more convenient while saving you money in the long run!! Best of luck and good fortune to you Brad!! TG

igneous - Fri Aug 4 12:12:38 2006
Thanks for the follow up on that Todd! I had occured to me before now that the DeWalt might be something to use for delicate jobs that are best cut inside. That's where it really shines. The direct drive does scare me somewhat and probably why they are having some of the issues that you mentioned. The 2000 sf jobs are really not us. We specialize in custom showers and specialized residential. We still need a workhorse type of saw though for the very reason that you mentioned. There's no reason to use that saw on a 500sf porcelain kitchen floor that's jack on jack...or even on a diagonal for that matter. I do want to upgrade my mixing drill too. I just bought the CE drills because they were cheap. If I didn't know better (and I really don't) I would swear that they are refurbs. The last one I bought sounded like the bearings were already worn straight out of the box. So any suggestions on that? Brad

jdkimes - Thu Aug 24 15:14:13 2006
Wondered what the thought might be on this MK-170 for a DIYer. Two questions: Looks like it the column holding up the motor might get in the way of cutting bigger (12") tiles or diagonals. Does it get in the way? Would this be any better (more versatile, more durable) than the $88 Depot one? For $149 it might be pretty good.

mad1ben2 - Mon Sep 18 13:03:02 2006
The website says this saw does not come with blade. What blade recommendation do you have for cutting 12" and 6" porcelain tiles? thx!

mad1ben2 - Sun Sep 24 16:33:30 2006
... and how do I get the 20% coupon? I'm already on their mailing address, just don't remember getting one of those coupons in quite a while... is there some way to initiate getting them to send me one?

flatfloor - Sun Sep 24 19:51:50 2006
How do we know? :shrug: :D

ruthie_remodels - Sun Sep 24 21:42:23 2006
For 15% off coupon at Harbor Freight through Sept. 27th, go to: www.wow-coupons.com/all-printable-retail-coupons.php I am using the Harbor Freight bridge saw just for this one job of cutting 18" tiles on diagonal and it's great (bought better blade of course). I could care less whether it lasts past this one job, it's great for what I need right now. When I tile again, I can buy a Felker then :D I probably won't do 18" tile again! Ruthie

ncor - Sun Sep 24 22:18:53 2006
use harbor freight belt sanders exclusivly takes the guys about 8to 9 days to burn through a batch of them but harbor freight gladly refunds each and every one.

Tool Guy - Kg - Sun Sep 24 22:26:47 2006
8 or 9 days? :crap: I'd buy a higher quality tool for one reason if that was the case....my time is worth something and all those trips to the store cost money. For countertop fitting, I use a lighter weight Makita that I can hold "on edge" for extended periods of time. But for heavy duty stuff, I use a 4" x 24" Milwaukee sander that I could stand on and drive around the house all day long with. It takes serious punishment and delivers day in and out. Has been for years. Never had to have it serviced, let alone waste time buying another one. Don't get me wrong, cheap tools have a place, but it doesn't sound like it's too economical to keep returning to the store in this case. :)

mad1ben2 - Tue Sep 26 16:29:00 2006
Thanks for the link - you saved me some money!!!

ashroyer - Wed Sep 27 16:25:13 2006
I bought the $30 1/2 inch 10 amp drill on sale, seems to work well so far. I also bought the smaller low-profile right-angle drill for installing the screws in my sister joists. It worked great for getting in the tight spaces. I thought I was real smart till I tried to use it again a few days later and the bearings make a loud squeal when I pulled the trigger. Probably still worth the $29 just for that one task.

Lazarus - Thu Nov 16 11:08:01 2006
I was in a bind about two years ago and picked up the HF 10 amp drill as a "quick replacement" for a really "good" one. (shown in the above link) Well, I was pleasantly surprised....been using it daily for morter, grout....even some concrete mix! I just can't seem to kill it and it gets HEAVY duty workouts constantly. The only thing I've replaced is the brushes....and it even comes with a spare set. Jeez, at $29 bucks on sale...I'm impressed.

dl - Tue Nov 28 06:05:21 2006
am using the Harbor Freight bridge saw just for this one job of cutting 18" tiles on diagonal and it's great (bought better blade of course). I could care less whether it lasts past this one job, it's great for what I need right now. When I tile again, I can buy a Felker then I probably won't do 18" tile again! Ruthie, that bridge saw looks an awful lot like my QEP ($299 shipped), only difference is lack of a laser guide which I find extremely useful. My need was the same as yours - 18" tiles. The saw has served me well through two projects although if I were making a career of this I'd go with something that had a better tile holder/guide but the cheapest alternative was 3x the price. - Don

BEERxTaco - Tue Nov 28 11:07:09 2006
When the Harbor Freight 2.5HP 10" wet saw says "Cuts tiles up to 18" long, 12" diagonally" does that mean it will cut a 12" floor tile diagonally? They have an ad running or a coupon or whatever that's good thru tomorrow for this saw at $199 (See coupon HERE). They also have a 1.5HP bridge saw (seen HERE) but I don't see any price on it. THIS looks like another option... wish they would post prices! I'm just doing a 15x20 family room with 12" porcelain tile, but I hate to throw money away on rental fees. Any reccomendations?

mad1ben2 - Tue Nov 28 11:38:39 2006
Beer, I have been very happy with the brick/tile saw from HF. I've now used it to cut 12" and 6" porcelain tiles and have set over 600 sq ft with only a master bathroom to finish. I purchased the HotDog blade and this combination has served me very well and definitely saved me money over renting. I had to perform a little modifications when originally setting it up (the brass tubes inside the blade cover weren't pointing water on the blade and were loose so I bent them to the right shape and epoxied them back in place), but since then it has worked like a champ. My .02, Scott

speedyox - Tue Nov 28 11:53:03 2006
Beer, Try "harborfreight" instead of harborfreightusa and you'll get the prices. I tried linking in the url but the board wouldn't let me. search for item 92386 and you'll see that the "bridge saw" is on sale right now for $199. I've got the 10" 2.5HP brick saw and have cut thousands of paver bricks and landscaping wall blocks with it using harbor freights $30 10" diamond blade. I plan on using it to cut the tile for my current bathroom project.

BEERxTaco - Tue Nov 28 14:31:02 2006
Thanks for the replies folks. I decided to go the more expensive, yet less intrusive route of the 8" wet saw as seen HERE. It shows a price of $279 when you use the plain old www.harborfreight.com addy, but when I called my local store they had 2 in stock at $239. I like the fact that it is smaller, lighter, yet still has good features. The 8" blade is kinda an oddball, but I can order a good hotdog blade that will work with it. And when I'm done with it I can tuck it away someplace out of the way.

maryland_warrior - Fri Jan 26 15:09:40 2007
O.k., I'm going to revive this dead ol thread one more time! I passed on the CE 10" that was discussed here in this thread and bought the Felker TM75 when it was on sale (back in 06') for the ridiculously low price of $158 after rebate. The Felker is good but: 1) cutting 12" tile on a diagonal was a little tricky and time consuming (yes I followed the instructions in the liberry) and 2) the stock blade isn't all that great it - I had to cut veerrrrryyyy slowly or the blade would stop (cutting 12" marble). Overall, it's a great little saw for the price and I'm glad I picked it up. I bought a HF 1/2" drill and it broke on first use :noid: It was not unexpected and I kind of just chuckled and fired up my old 3/8" craftsman which worked just fine mixing up thinset a 1/2 bag at a time (which was the pace I wanted to set anyway). Ah, sears to the rescue ;) I don't want to totally diss HF though b/c I also bought a paint sprayer (for hookup to a compressor) at a very good price and it performed beautifully. I guess HF is just a crapshoot - which I think pretty much summs up what others have said in this thread previously.

bowser220 - Wed Feb 7 21:18:04 2007
Does any one have an opinion on these two saws? The craftman is 100 dollars more currently. Does any one have any HF coupons?

bowser220 - Wed Feb 7 21:24:04 2007
I planned on getting the MK 370EXP for $299 but the bridge saws seem better and more useful. Can all bridge saws plunge cut? Chicago? Craftsman?

ZINGER084 - Tue Feb 3 09:09:12 2009
Not to bring up an old post, but I just purchased this saw a week ago for $183 and it worked beautifully for the kitchen project I just completed. I really see no reason to buy a saw that costs more. This has all the features that I needed to do the kitchen and soon the bathroom. Great saw for the price and seems to be built pretty well.

Dave Taylor - Tue Feb 3 09:57:46 2009
Thanks for your saw comments and critique Zinger but..... it may help folks to know exactly what wet saw (by model number) you bought, from where, for $183 that you like so well. :D Also, please navigate up-top' this page in the blue bar and click "User CP".... then click "Edit Signature" in the drop-down menu.... then enter a name we may address you by which will now appear in all your posts. Thanks much,

dizzyj - Sun Nov 8 20:57:27 2009
hate to bring up an old thread but does anyone know if this ce 10" tile saw can use a 6" profile blade?

Pirate - Sun Nov 8 22:29:11 2009
No, a 6" won't work. The arm travel is stopped. If it came down any farther, a 10" blade would slice through the table.

dizzyj - Tue Nov 17 23:14:08 2009
so I started using this saw, and must say that im really happy with it. Not a whole lot of bells and whistles, but I've been able to make all of the cuts I've needed. and its been really easy to work with. I did purchace a 10" profile blade, but it wouldnt work with this saw. The guard is too small and the spacing of the water pitots is too narrow to fit the blade. I think a 6" would fit under the pitots, but then the table is not high enough. too bad too, I would have been able to save a few hundred dollars by making my own bullnose. I cant tell exactly which saws can use a profile blade, but if I had to do it again, I'd try the 6" and build a jig for the table so its the right height.

Davy - Wed Nov 18 07:29:19 2009
Hi dj, check out post 12 of this thread to see a profiler for a grinder. I've had several profile wheels for saws in the past, this one is easier to set up. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40874

Exsequor - Thu Aug 29 01:01:28 2013
A little background about me. I am the owner of a bullnose and fabrication shop in Colorado Springs called Bullnose World. In the past we had 3 different Chicaco Electric 7" fixed rail tile saws to set for cuts for jobs that required multiple cuts. We used them to compliment our Felkers, Imers, etc. Now, they aren't the best saw on the market, but out of the box the guide was always better (more precise) then many saws 5 times as expensive. Durability was never bad either. Heck, I remember one time we cut 3000 linear feet of tile over a couple days span, and the saws kept kicking for a few more years before we sold em'.

HomeTeam - Sun Sep 8 21:46:59 2013
I am not a full time tile guy but have done about 9 or 10 schluter showers over the past 5 years. I have three in a row lined up right now so I decided to get a bigger wet saw than my tired little 7" tabletop wet saw. I just purchased the HF 10" saw #69275http://www.harborfreight.com/25-horsepower-10-industrial-tilebrick-saw-69275.html Got the saw for current sale price of 259.99 and applied one of my 25% off printable coupons so it was (with MI 6% tax) out the door for $206.69. I'll be in the area again this week so I will pick up the stand with another 25% off coupon. Got the DeWalt DW4764blade ($77) at Lowes because I did not want to wait; I had the afternoon available to set up the saw and try it out. Here are some observations: Came out of the box in good condition. Clean and well packaged. All parts in bags, cords neatly wrapped up, etc. Easy setup and assembly with good instructions. First thing I saw was the wimpy water line badly kinked where it goes from the motor tower to the blade guard. More on this in a minute. I attached the motor tower, sliding table, water tray, and installed the blade. I grabbed my framing square and put the short end at the lip of the table so that the 24" end was extending parallel to the blade. I placed the tip of the square about 1/32" from the side of the blade and pushed the table forward through it's full range and the square remained a constant parallel 1/32" from the blade. I opened the blade guard and put a rafter square on the table, standing up next to the vertical plane of the blade, and it was square there, too. Back to the hose. In addition to the kink in the tower, the lower 6" end that sticks out at the base of the saw was also badly kinked. I had read the reviews on the HF web site and they are mostly very positive, but with some mentions of this same issue so I was not surprised. Before I even attempted to turn the saw on, I took a length of 1/4" inside diameter clear vynil tubing and replaced the hose. The 1/4" line is thicker and much less prone to kinking but I had to slightly ream out the hole where the hose enters the plastic blade guard. (would not be noticeable if I had to return the saw, lol.) I put water in a bucket and attached the pump to the lower hose with a 1/4" barbed hose fitting that I already had. I turned on the saw and it ran for about a second or two then water came through the two jets and began spraying the blade area. I grabbed a 13x13 ceramic tile and cut a clean 1/4" off of one edge. I grabbed the mitre guage and made an angle cut on the tile and it looked pretty good when I put my 45 degree rafter square on the cut. I made a few more cuts, including a 90 degree notch cut, as if I were putting the tile around an outside corner. So far I am liking this saw! :tup1: :tup1: I will begin demo of the first bathroom tomorrow, then after some framing, plumbing, etc, I will post back here in the future with more impressions after I begin tiling.

cx - Sun Sep 8 22:02:54 2013
I'll combine you here with the discussion about that saw and brand that's been going on for ten years or so, Jim. :)

John A Smith - Sat Jan 25 22:05:25 2014
I just purchased the Chicago Electric 10" tile/brick saw with the stand and a 10" blade direct from Harbor Freight. I paid a total of $260, including tax, by using (3) 25% off coupons. The saw and the blade were on sale too. I assembled it but haven't turned it on yet. I have one concern and that is the last 6" of the sliding table travel when it is fully extended. The end rollers drop out of the slides causing a bit of a drop. I measured with a rafter square and found everything very accurate up to 18" from the blade but at 20" to 24" it is definitely off due to that drop. I noticed the display in the store did the same thing but I assumed it was an assembly issue. I don't see any way to adjust this. The saw is rated 24" so I would think this would be a known issue. Everything else about the saw seems so well thought out I am wondering if I am missing something. Assembly was easy though the instruction lack detail. Feedback will be appreciated, thanks.

Tool Guy - Kg - Sat Jan 25 22:54:51 2014
Welcome to the forum, John. I don't think there's much engineering to HF's tools. More copying of another tool that seems to work and then mass produced with inexpensive labor. HF tools have always been hit or miss. Mostly miss, IMHO. I've got a HF store locally and sometimes wander through the store. The few times I've purchased things, the item has worn out at a dramatically quick rate. But sometimes the stuff is okay. This is probably the least expensive saw in this size range. There are some folks on the forum that are happy with this tool. And there are some folks who are completely disappointed with it. If it's not to your liking, swap it out for another at the store. If that isn't working, return it and chalk it up to inexpensive imported tools that have low quality control standards. P.S. Did the cashier really give you a better discount with (3) 25% off coupons than with a single coupon? :)

lucas_tx - Sun Jan 26 09:21:45 2014
Can't speak to the 24" tile question but we recently bought this saw as well. We got a good ($$) DeWalt diamond blade at a box store because the ratings for the HF blades are so bad. For the saw alone, with the "sale" price and a coupon it was out the door for around $200. Cut a bunch of 12" porcelain tile yesterday and it did great, way better than the big MK we rented a couple weekends ago. We cut 1/2" slivers off the side and both pieces stayed intact and didn't chip. So from our use it once a year for 2 weekends type perspective, we think it's going to be great.

John A Smith - Sun Jan 26 12:08:03 2014
Tool Guy, thanks for the welcome. Harbor Freight allows their percent off coupons to be used on one item only so it took 3 separate transactions to get 25% off the entire purchase. My question did not mean that I am dissatisfied but rather I am simply trying to make the tool the best it can be. I will more than likely be working with under 18" tile so the issue is not critical. Lucas_TX, do you feel the drop I described when you pull your slide table all the way back?

Search our site!
Google
  Web johnbridge.com

Message index